Just ordered my first rolls of Vision 3 50D!

Jamie Frazer Noakes

Oh, optics are very important here. This stock is so good, use the best lenses to get the full effect! The Canon 814 and 1014 XL-S cameras have the best optics for non-interchangeable models. Then, there's the Beaulieu series of c-mount cameras with some amazing lens options. My understanding is that some Nizos are good too. Cheap camera will mean crappy optics though. Even my relatively good Canon 814 AZ doesn't hold a candle to my XL-S model.

Oh, optics are very important here. This stock is so good, use the best lenses to get the full effect! The Canon 814 and 1014 XL-S cameras have the best optics for non-interchangeable models. Then, there's the Beaulieu series of c-mount cameras with some amazing lens options. My understanding is that some Nizos are good too. Cheap camera will mean crappy optics though. Even my relatively good Canon 814 AZ doesn't hold a candle to my XL-S model.

As far as I know, all 814 models have the same lens (and the best of all Canons) that was also chosen for the Scoopic for such reason. Maybe just different coatings. It's clearly better than the lens in the 1014 cameras

Edited by Miguel Loredo

All the 814s from the 60s and 70s had pretty much the same lens if not the same lens. It's a very good lens.

The XL-S series from the 80s was very different and much better. The 814 and 1014 XL-S models have a very similar lens with the 814 having the equivalent of 8x zoom and the 1014 10x zoom. Quality wise, these two cameras are the same, and better than all older models.

The Scoopic lens would be different as the 814 lens would not cover the whole 16mm frame of a Scoopic.

And that's 55 Euros before VAT and customs and postage. I have been wondering about ordering directly from Kodak as well. While they might not sell to individuals, maybe they might sell smaller amounts to companies? Does anyone else know what's the Kodak policy here in Europe?

It certainly isn't surprising that many hobbyists have been afraid that they won't be able to shoot color at all due to the price hikes. If shooting super-8 wasn't cheap before, it's much worse now. When buying inside EU, the cost of one cartridge of any color S8 VAT included is about 25 EUR. That's 10 EUR / minute of unprocessed film. And only one year ago I paid 15 EUR / cartridge of Vision3...

I hope that the Agfa stock Wittner is about to offer will be cheaper because it would be a shame to lose the hobbyists who want to document the growth of their children....

• Upvote 1

And that's 55 Euros before VAT and customs and postage. I have been wondering about ordering directly from Kodak as well. While they might not sell to individuals, maybe they might sell smaller amounts to companies? Does anyone else know what's the Kodak policy here in Europe?

It is 55 UK Pound. Odd, as this seller used to have far more reasonable prices.

Stardom is getting to his prices. The 20 pieces boxes used to be free shipping :)

Shipping is not too bad, It is from Istanbul and as far as I know Turkye is in a customs union with the EU.

There are some advantages to the EU :) Buying and selling across the EU is now so easy, duty free, and thanks to the Euro and some imposed regulations there are hardly banking fees. Could easily be saving Euro 1500 per year on my business and personal buys.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

Stardom is getting to his prices. The 20 pieces boxes used to be free shipping :)

Shipping is not too bad, It is from Istanbul and as far as I know Turkye is in a customs union with the EU.

There are some advantages to the EU :) Buying and selling across the EU is now so easy, duty free, and thanks to the Euro and some imposed regulations there are hardly banking fees. Could easily be saving Euro 1500 per year on my business and personal buys.

55 UKP about EURO 60 = 15 /pc

Wittner plans to expect Euro 24.90 per piece including VAT

Ah yes, sorry, originally I did notice the 55 GBP but somewhere along this thread it had become 55 Euros ;)

Anyway, I wasn't aware of the customs relationship between EU and Turkey. I googled a bit about it, and this is what I found:

The EU and Turkey established a Customs Union on 1 January 1996, and many goods from Turkey no longer attract customs duty, but excise duty and import VAT still apply.

That means there won't be the 4% customs duty of small gauge film, but the VAT has to be paid. However, even then it is quite much cheaper than buying from within EU. Nice.

On the other hand, if one owns 16mm cine camera, one might be tempted to buy some Fuji film even for shooting home films: http://www.filmstockclearance.com ;)

Well, I will use these 4 rolls as test rolls and shoot a roll behind 4 different lenses - and one of those will be a Canon 1014xl-swith a widened gate! ;)

It is £55 plus £4.70 shipping for 4 rolls - this is a good price - it equates to £16 per roll - not bad considering Kodak's price hike from 1st January 2013!

It certainly isn't surprising that many hobbyists have been afraid that they won't be able to shoot color at all due to the price hikes. If shooting super-8 wasn't cheap before, it's much worse now. When buying inside EU, the cost of one cartridge of any color S8 VAT included is about 25 EUR. That's 10 EUR / minute of unprocessed film. And only one year ago I paid 15 EUR / cartridge of Vision3...

I hope that the Agfa stock Wittner is about to offer will be cheaper because it would be a shame to lose the hobbyists who want to document the growth of their children....

I am looking forward to the Agfa 200 stock from Wittner!

Where did you have the gate widening done? Was it just widened, or were the optics re-alligned as well?

I just had the gate widened - the optics were not re-alligned - however it is quite easy to compose your shots - the middle is just off centre to the right. If you want details of where I got it done, please PM me! Thanks! ;)

Edited by Jamie Frazer Noakes

Jamie,

Have you seen that this guy in Turkey is now offering a package deal on eBay with processed and one-light wet gate postive PRINTS from Vison3 50D Super8 (5 rolls plus reels and cans)?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KODAK-SUPER-8-FILM-7203-VISION3-50D-PRINT-PACKAGE-DEAL-/190790872327?pt=UK_Photography_Film&hash=item2c6c05ad07

It must be through the ANDEC Lab in Berlin, which as far as I know is the only lab that can do Super8 prints from a negative.

All the best,
Bengt in Stockholm

Edited by Bengt Freden

Jamie,

Have you seen that this guy in Turkey is now offering a package deal on eBay with processed and one-light wet gate postive PRINTS from Vison3 50D Super8 (5 rolls plus reels and cans)?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KODAK-SUPER-8-FILM-7203-VISION3-50D-PRINT-PACKAGE-DEAL-/190790872327?pt=UK_Photography_Film&hash=item2c6c05ad07

It must be through the ANDEC Lab in Berlin, which as far as I know is the only lab that can do Super8 prints from a negative.

All the best,

Bengt in Stockholm

Hi Bengt, yes I did see that! It is Andec, Murat has confirmed this.

It is still pricey thought when you work it out - around 600 SEK per roll!