Labs in India

I have plans to shoot on the Wittner Chrome 200D 16mm film stock in India, and had hoped to find a lab there that processed colour reversal, but so far no luck. I found a list of labs on Kodak's website but these labs only process negative film. The closest lab I could find is in Germany. I will process the film there, or in the US if I must. But first I thought I would ask here: does anyone know of a lab in India processing colour reversal?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I wonder if any lab that processes E6-slides might be able to process 16mm as well:

http://yellowpages.sulekha.com/e6-slide-processing_contacts

http://www.indiacom.com/bangalore/mallik-e6-processing_bangalore_bgl_977344.html

http://www.indiamike.com/india/photography-f58/e6-processing-delhi-t6903/

You might also try Prasad and Rainbow (that is if they still exist at all):

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Category:FAQ#India

Jörg

Edited by Joerg Polzfusz

Following the thread title more literally, what labs in India are friendly to short films and less than feature length projects, and what sort of prices are they charging for colour neg processing. Are there any small budget film makers out there reading this who can say first hand what prices they have met. Hard I know, in a country where negotiation is so common in transactions.

• 2 weeks later...

David, good morning!

Email culture in India is pretty weird. People answer phone calls promptly. :-)

No labs in India does reversal process. Filmmakers sent the cans to Singapore I guess. Black and white processing is done at FTII pune.

want more contact details and phone numbers of labs, contact me off list on www.storyinframes.com. scared of bots so not writing my actual id.

regards

Prashantt

cinematographer

ArriSR3HS owner

Gregg,

I am a hard core Indie guy. I shoot ultra low budget stuff :-)

Kodak lab will charge you roughly 1300-1600 INR per 16mm 400ft can. this includes, processing, ultrasound, and leaders.

Prasad is charging (kit process) INR 9.82/mtr

ultrasonic, punching, leader INR 2.44/mtr

telecine SD best light INR 4000/hr

I just shot a short. the link is on my website. www.storyinframes.com.

If you need help/advise, give a shout.

cheers

Prashantt

• Upvote 1

Thanks Prashantt

It's very hard to get actual numbers like those. Is it a fair guess that features, or any project with volume, negotiate down from those prices, or is the philosophy to help the short film makers by giving low prices as an entry point? Are the labs still full service? Can they do work prints? Optical blow ups from 16/S16 to 35mm?

Those prices are low. What has happened to the rupee? In India in 81 I was getting about 8 INR for a USD. Now it's about 57 INR

To save the other readers the conversion
Kodak ....1300-1600 INR per 16mm 400ft can........USD 23 to 28

Prasad is charging (kit process) INR 9.82/mtr........USD 0.052/ft

telecine SD best light INR 4000/hr...........USD 70/hour

Thanks again.
Gregg.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

Gregg,

Unlike in US/UK/EU where student filmmakers are generally given heavily discounted offers, India doesn't offer much primarily because rates and services are at lower prices to begin with. in 2008 i shot a 30 min short for a USC project funded partially by SLOAN. kodak gifted 20000ft vision2. EFILM at DeLUXE did a DI process of USD73,000.00 and waived off, Skywalker did a soundmix of 200,00USD and waived off. So in west, yes there is support for students.

In India, the full length feature DI can be done for less than 20,000USD. you can bargain of course for a bit more. Overall making a feature in India is cheaper than west i.e. shooting on film/celluloid. in 2007 i shot an indie feature on 35mm for 100,000USD.

Labs are still on in India so dont worry. Technical support is there. Wide varieties of Cameras from Panavision to ArriIIC and Lenses are available.

So, dont worry. Shoot with whatever funds you have. :-) be optimistic and surround yourself with genuine people.

regards

Prashantt

• 7 months later...