Best C-Mount Super16 Lenses

Hi All,

I'm looking for suggestions and opinions on the best Super16 C-Mount lenses. I'm primarily looking wide-angle prime, but taking zoom suggestions as well.

This is for my Eclair ACL which is Super16 converted. So, no RX or lenses that will vignette Super16.

Looking at least 25mm but probably 16mm or wider.

I don't see a previous forum topic on this exact request, but please link to one if you know of one.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

It's tough, not too many super16 cameras are in C mount I would assume.

I don't know if they're "the best," but I had 2 lenses that where 16mm for a bell and howell filmo that was converted to super16 by hand. The camera has since been broke, but I don't remember ever getting any vignette from these lenses (Unless the operator doing the transfer covered it up somehow).

The lenses where a Super Comat Bell and howell and a Kern-paillard Yvar in 16mm.

The Kern-Paillard was great because it has these orange dots that appear to tell you what your depth of field was for "acceptable" focus. A good feature considering the filmo was a parallax view camera.

What's strange to me is that even at 16mm, there wasn't any vignette although the rear element was really small. Especially since, I also have three bell howell angenieux c mount lenses. Although I didn't get a chance to test on the super16 filmo, I have tested it on Ultra16 and the wide angle (10mm) does vignette pretty bad- even though the rear element is much much larger. Go figure.

Again, I don't know if you would consider these the "best" lenses (I liked them, but everyone has their different sensitivities), the 25mm Bell and Howell Angenieux looked great on Ultra 16. If I had to make a guess, you might be able to use one in 16mm if they make it. That would be one of the "best" lenses in C mount in my humble opinion. :)

• Premium Member

Yes I suspect most wide C-mounts won't cover super 16, certainly very few I've tested. At 25mm you might be OK, but wider than 16mm and it gets pretty tight. The 10mm Kern Switar just covers, with slight darkening of the corners, but I haven't found any others that wide.

As far as "best" goes, it is a bit subjective, as Philip said. You can generally assume that cine lenses made by the better manufacturers like Kinoptic, Kern, Angenieux or Taylor Hobson are pretty well corrected. Other classic manufacturers like Dallmeyer, Hugo Meyer, Schneider-Kreuznach or Som Berthiot can be good but are a little more hit or miss, and often lower in contrast. American brands were generally derivative and a bit low-end, though Kodak's Cine Ektars were OK, and lenses by other Rochester firms like Bausch and Lomb, Wollensak or Elgeet might be worth a shot.

In later years some of these companies also made C-mount lenses for TV or CCTV (video) cameras which might cover a larger image circle, but the specifications would have been lower than for the cine versions. Most Japanese made C-mounts would be in this category, but they can be surprisingly good in terms of correction, maybe not much character though.

My primary goal is the sharpest I can find that will cover the frame. I have been using an m42 adapter and m42 still lenses. But, none of them have the sharpness or professional "look" I'm looking for. I'm looking into purchasing a c-mount or acl mount to PL mount adapter and renting zeiss primes. But, I still want something decent in my own collection.

The Kinoptik is one of the sharpest Super 16 lenses I have ever tried in Super 16.

I had a near new 9mm T1.7 Kinoptik a while back. I couldn't verify that it had any siblings for sale anywhere to build a prime set, even after ringing the manufacturer, I sold it for enough to buy two Zeiss SS lenses. For some reason even old Kinoptik primes cost a lot.

My primary goal is the sharpest I can find that will cover the frame.

Hey David,

Is it just cost that has you looking at C mount primes? Like I think others are saying, the Switars can actually be quite sharp. But the barrel is really small if you need to pull focus and C mount is no good if you are swapping out lenses quickly or checking the gate a lot.

Cooke Kinetals (Tyler Hobson) may be a way. Very sharp but less contrasty than Zeiss super speeds. Designed for standard 16, but I think only the 9mm vignetts, the 12.5mm may cover, maybe Dom could confilm or qualify that. Problem with these is that the lens mount itself rotates in the camera port, you have a light smear of vaseline etc in the port. The lens mounts are normally Arri S and there are quite a few that sell on eBay, unfortunately the sets are normally broken up to sell. I think maybe the prices are rising a bit. We may hear some complaints on the forums about how to get vaseline off one's BMPC sensor (smiling).

MK I Zeiss super speeds are the next option up. Always seem to be Arri B mount, sometimes sold with focus gears that have been added. I have seen these sell for around the USD500 mark, but normally people set higher prices on eBay and wait. They do often sell as sets.

Bargains are always possible. Park Rd Post here in NZ, still with a lot of the old National Film Unit gear, are selling off a lot of old stuff right now. They had, maybe still have, a lot of old lenses they were selling. The start bids are low. Selling on eBay and Trademe (NZ). Maybe one can bid from outside NZ.

Park Rd Post on eBay. For example this sweet Cannon zoom, which I think will cover S16 from 8mm, sold for $406. You can use this to link to other gear they sell.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171080007605?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_248wt_1207

Park Rd Post on Trademe. For example this Cooke Kinetal prime sold for NZ$160, about USD128

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=618775707

I think I just emailed you testerday that I have another (cheaper) TS/PL adapter I am selling ($230). I also have a TS/Arri S adapter for sale ($150)

If one relaxed the sharpness requirement a little, then the old Scneiders are actually quite beautiful (I thought). And maybe one could use standard 16. A nice chance to go fully film through post.

Cheers,

Gregg.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's one little test of mine (watch in 1080):

Not that scientific (expired film, shaky footage, no good plan what to have in focus) but might give you some idea. For example, for 1.78 Switar 10mm seems to cover, for 1.62 not.

Had my Eclair ACL modified to super16 by Les Bosher this summer.

Edited by Heikki Repo