Please what is the name of this effect called and how can it be done

John1

I see this effect in very many music videos and it makes them kinda look cool and professional. This light streaks usually, red, pink, purple used for transitioning between one cut to another. I know its not lens flare. Please check out this music video. You will see it. I want to know the name and how its done. That light streak is continuously used in transitioning

Edited by John1

These look like flash frames to me.

Traditionally these would usually be orange actually but what the hey! :)

This is usually done in post these days as Heri says but used to be an effect of shooting on film, especially on Super8 cameras when someone would open the cart door and let light in or swap cartridges etc etc. It's the effect of light getting in at the emulsion.

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

Just to add, the reason it is getting used as a transition is that usually it was something that happened between scenes for various reasons. (such as swapping carts as I said earlier)

You will notice that it is often at the edges of the frames as this is the light getting in at the edges of the emulsion.

Freya

It's something you also get at the beginning and the end of daylight loading spools as found on 16mm Bolex cameras or Regular 8mm cameras. Some of these also have small holes perforated in the end of the leader as an additional effect. These reels have leader at either end, which you don't use and ideally you load the camera in a darkened place, to avoid this, but the real world does step in, so you get this flashing effect.

It's something you also get at the beginning and the end of daylight loading spools as found on 16mm Bolex cameras or Regular 8mm cameras. Some of these also have small holes perforated in the end of the leader as an additional effect. These reels have leader at either end, which you don't use and ideally you load the camera in a darkened place, to avoid this, but the real world does step in, so you get this flashing effect.

At one stage I was trying to make a film that consisted entirely of those little holes and flashes but I couldn't get enough of them together! :)

The movie "Vampyr" by Dreyer also features those holes (he was a bit stuck for filmstock when he made that film!)

Freya