Dedo dimmer query

I've got a shoot coming up where I preferably want a few 150W Dedos put through to a flicker box, and I was wondering if this is a good idea considering they come with dimmers?

For another scene I'd like them put through to a DMX board, so I can control their output more easily than if I had the separate dimmers for each one.

Would either of the above scenarios screw up the dimmers that the lights come with? I know the dimmer and plug actually come as a separate lead that plugs into the head, so can I use a different cable instead, with no dimmer?

Thanks!

I afraid that Dedolight used 12V Halogen bulb which they promoted as more rugged and cleaner light source (more point light source) than normal 110v,220v Halogen in Arri, Mole.

So they can't be plug directly to the outlet. The dimmer came with itself is actually 12v switching power supply with dimmer.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
Would either of the above scenarios screw up the dimmers that the lights come with?

Maybe. If it's just a straight on-off flicker and you aren't putting it through a triac dimmer, you may get away with it. You may get away with it even if you are putting it through a triac dimmer. But you would need to test first.

That said, as Chanon says, Dedos are just low-voltage halogen lights. I know they either were or are 3-pin XLRs - they changed to this connector recently and some older ones have been upgraded. I have some microprocessor-controlled flicker boxes which have 4-pin XLR outputs which could, with a trivial cable or connector swapout, be used to flicker dedos directly, but I built those and I'm not aware there's a commercial equivalent.

If you want something fairly indiscriminate, you could just try wiring a fluorescent tube starter in series with something like a 50W GU10 mains bulb. The flicker characteristic can be coarsely controlled by dimmer (I built a set of these and just used normal triac wall-plate dimmers which seem to survive).

P

• Upvote 1

If you want something fairly indiscriminate, you could just try wiring a fluorescent tube starter in series with something like a 50W GU10 mains bulb. The flicker characteristic can be coarsely controlled by dimmer (I built a set of these and just used normal triac wall-plate dimmers which seem to survive).

P

That's interesting idea. I have to try it next project. Thank you.

There are plenty of other small fresnels in the 100w-200w range that would have similar output and look. Either by Arri or Mole, they would be simpler on the electronics front and cheaper to rent.

Yeah I realise that would be a cheaper option, but I have access to these Dedos for free.

Regarding their output though in comparison to a conventional fresnel:

With a 150W lamp in the flood position, its light output is greater than a 300W Fresnel studio fixture. In the spot position, it equals or exceeds a 1000W Fresnel studio fixture.

Thanks for the replies!

• Premium Member

I thought that too. Intensity comparisons are often drivel, especially regarding LEDs. There's one company out there claiming that a 40W LED panel has equivalence to a 1K tungsten based on numbers intended to help people choose sensible replacement household lightbulbs - it's ridiculous.