Color Correction: Sony BVM-F250 or Eizo ColorEdge CG277

Melody Zhao

I am considering to buy a professional monitor, either Sony BVM-F250 or Eizo ColorEdge CG277, to color-correct footages in DCI format. What are the differences between the two monitors? It seems that the Eizo one only has HDMI, but no HD-SDI. So what are the differences between HDMI and HD-SDI?

Also, I would like to know if this kind of video monitors really differs from the still monitor of a computer? Is there any delay? How many hours can I keep using it? How many years can it be in good condition?

Any thoughts are welcome? Thanks for your answer in advance.

• Site Sponsor

Forget the Eizo especially for P3 it is a very nice computer monitor but it was never designed for grading and as such it needs to have a SDI to HDMI interface and would need to be properly profiled by a CMS and a LUT made for the color space you want to work in. HDMI can work as an interface but none of the grading applications cards (i.e. Resolve and BMD Decklink) will output more than 4:2:2 rec709 from the HDMI port for P3 or 4:4:4 you would need to work with SDI

the Eizo's are the cheapest entry level screen with built-in LUT memory, ergo u can calibrate them very nicely for your color target, especially rec 709...

Eizo's don't have SDI in but u can use a SDI-2-DP converter and then u get full 10-bit 444 from the Decklink into the Eizo via DisplayPort...

for DCI P3 they won't do full coverage, it's gonna be around 90+ %...

if u want better DCI P3 coverage and SDI inputs look at FSI / Penta / TVLogic screens...

- M