ACs... what on-board monitors are you liking right now?

Hi guys

I am buying a new camera and for various reasons my previous on-board monitor has to go. I need a replacement, but as I never really look at the monitor, I thought I'd ask around here and see what monitors people are currently pulling from and what they like.

My only real criteria are it must take HD-SDI and cost no more than about $3000 or so. I'd also like it to be relatively lightweight.

Current contenders are the venerable TVLogic, but I also see the SmallHDs sound quite good. OLED especially, I really like.

Best

James

• Premium Member

I'm still using my TVLogic 5.6, which works fine other than not being able to upgrade the firmware myself. As newer cameras come out or new firmware gets released for those cameras, I've run into some compatibility issues (5DMk3, especially).

The new TVL WP-058 1080p version looks like a nice upgrade. I know some DPs swear by the 7" TVL for operating, but i think it's too low resolution to pull from. And some ACs are buying the SmallHD 7" AC7 or DP7Pro Hi-Brite, but who knows how well they will hold up.

The AC7 OLED has very inconsistent black levels and constantly needs to be recalibrated so you would be wasting your time and money with that one.

The DP7 OLED is very nice. I've noticed much better colour, contrast, and overall neutrality than the AC7 OLED, which also uses the same panel, but driven by different (and cheaper) electronics. Lovely features for both ACs and DPs (great peaking, LUT importing, colour spaces, of course great blacks) and they seem to be calibrated well at the factory. I'm not a DIT but to my eyes, with perhaps a wee reduction in the red, the image looks very good. Everyone that looks at the image on set will want to see your monitor instead of any of the other ones. They do burn in, so things like status info overlays and frame guides can be an issue, but I try to mitigate that by putting a custom 50% opacity mask in the Custom Guides menu around the periphery of the image. Also makes all that status info a bit less distracting while keeping them visible.

The TV Logic VFM-058W is a nice upgrade from the 056 indeed. I just bought one last week. The resolution increase is very nice, and puts it in 'Retina' territory - can't see individual pixels. A bit brighter than the older 056 as well, and better contrast. Runs a bit hot; I can see why they put a heatsink on the back. Still has the same power draw as the older 056 though.

I've used the Odyssey 7Q as well. It uses the exact same Samsung AMOLED 7.7" panel as the DP7 and the AC7, but I don't like the image. Something about the colour, contrast, and sharpness doesn't seem quite right, regardless of how you try to adjust those parameters (and there aren't many image controls, either). I'd think of it primarily as a recorder with the image as a bonus, not the other way around.

• Premium Member

I own several TV Logic 5.6" on boards. But I'm liking the Small 7" Daylight monitor and am currently considering upgrading to them. They are around $3000 each.

G