16s periscope finder question

JB Earl

I'd like to know if the periscope finder ( specifically on the 16 st) is rotatable to higher and lower viewing positions. I've looked all over the web and can't find any detailed info other than extending for left eye viewing.

Thanks

The camera's finder is fixed straight out the back. Arri made a periscope finder attachment that the say is for left eye viewing with 400' mags. It appears to be rotatable also but I can't be sure as I've never handled one.

post-62970-0-38693200-1414249696_thumb.jpg

Oooops, I should have dug deeper. This shows a cross section of the finder's optical path with the periscopic finder attached....

Warning, when rotating the periscopic finder, the image does not stay "erect", it will rotate and you'll have to cock your head to see a level horizontal image. You'll get used to it :-).

IMG_20141025_0003_zps2a2b4758.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 6 years later...
  • Premium Member

Figured I'd awaken this long-dormant topic rather than starting up a new one, just to keep all the similar information together...

On my Canon F-1 still cameras (both the original, and the "F-1 new" there is an optional finder accessory called a "Speed Finder" - it's similar to the Arri periscope finder, but only usable in two positions - upright, like the normal SLR finder, and pivoted down, in the "waist level finder" position.  Its claim to fame is that it makes the image big and bright and viewable with glasses on or in my case, with the finder held a bit away from the face so you can also watch your surroundings while shooting, say, sports from the sidelines of a game.  For decades I've shot with those things permanently in place on my F-1 cameras.

So clearly I needed a periscope finder for my 16S, right?  Except I got one, and it seems to have the opposite effect from the Canon Speed Finder.  The image is small and tunnel-visioned, and you need your face smashed right up against it to see anything.  It's like looking through a long tube, where if you don't get your eye precisely dead-center, the image starts to disappear out of view.

Is this just how it is?  Or am I doing something wrong?  Mounted wrong, viewing position wrong, something?

I'll add a picture of the Speed Finder so you'll get the idea.

Duncan

canon_speed_finder_11.jpeg

canon_speed_finder_13.jpeg