Best Super 8 Projector

David Cunningham

Hi All,

I am looking to replace my cheap plastic Super 8 projector and was looking for opinions on the best ones.

I'm not even sure if such a thing is made, but I would love to get my hands on a 3-blade shutter (triple flash) Super 8 projector if such a thing exists.

Dave

The Elmo ST-1200 has always been the top choice. I've owned quite a few projectors and that is the last one I bought maybe 5 yrs ago. What I like about it most is that it gives a brighter picture than most projectors because it uses a 150W bulb. It's one of the few S8 projectors i've owned that let my reversals live up to their full potential.

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone. I found the previous post asking the same question and the Elmo ST-1200 definitely nicely sounds like the favorite and a good projector.

I was almost hoping for something more like the pageant 250 I have... More manual feed and loop forming than these plastic auto looping units.

Also. Very interested in a 3 or even 5 blade shutter for optimum flicker reduction. Are there any Super 8 projectors with a 3 or 5 blade shutter?

Ok... so, definitely looking for a Beaulieu 709 or Elmo ST-1200 (avoiding the unnecessary GS line).

Now, however, I am curious if there is a manual feed/setup/looping forming Super 8 projector of high quality. I figure unlikely due to the amateur nature of the format. But, I'm hoping there is a good quality projector out there, not unlike my Kodak Pageant 250 series.

I agree, Anthony,

The ELMO ST-1200 has been my most trusted Super-8 film projector since the early 80s. It just works and the only thing you have to do (with ten-year intervals) is to sometimes buy new drive belts (available on eBay). I also own the Beaulieu 708 stereo, but that is a more delicate machine, you have to watch it while running, as it sometimes loses the loops. It takes larger reels, though, up to 720 meters.

I have also recently bought an ELMO ST-1200 HD 2-track, cheaply off eBay, which I will renovate and equip with a fine new long zoom lens, the ELMO 1.2 25-50mm. If you have a separate balance track on your film, it can function as a sort of stereo projector.

All the best from Sweden, Bengt B)

It's just possible, if rather fiddly, to hand-thread the Elmos, the ST-600 at least. In practice it's easy to adjust the autoload so that it's reliable. Not reliable enough to leave alone, though. You'll always need a supply of leader and a CIR splicer.

Getting film striped is the problem now. A few of my stripes from the 80s have delaminated.