Logmar camera now available at Pro8mm

Anthony Schilling

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly 6K for a super 8 camera and lens?? Ridiculous! I would rather get one of the many Aaton or Arri super 16 cameras people are dumping for half the price!

This is not the 90's anymore when film equipment and services could fetch sky-high prices! Logmar should either sell direct or find additional "film-maker friendly" distributors for a more competitive market.

• Upvote 1

Nearly 6K for a super 8 camera and lens?? Ridiculous! I would rather get one of the many Aaton or Arri super 16 cameras people are dumping for half the price!

This is not the 90's anymore when film equipment and services could fetch sky-high prices! Logmar should either sell direct or find additional "film-maker friendly" distributors for a more competitive market.

It's built new from the ground up probably mostly by hand and not compiled from cheap components in some far off factory. They'll probably sell a relative handful of these a year, how cheap can it be??? Better that it's expensive and done right. Need cheap, buy a 310XL! This is a professional camera. I'm sure rentals are available at low cost. Yeesh!

• Premium Member

The price seems to compare well against the new cost of a 1970 Beaulieu Super 8 camera, which would cost about £7,000, allowing for inflation, today.

Yes, but the point is a 1970 Beaulieu Super 8 camera costs about $200 today and is still a great camera.

I'm very glad this new camera is being built and I applaud all the work that has gone into it. It really is a dream camera for Super 8 enthusiasts. But I will be very interested to see how it sells at the price point they have to sell it.

The condition of a $200 camera may vary, an overhauled Beaulieu would be a closer comparison for its market. Although, I gather the Logmar is also pretty quiet when it's running.which is important when shooting sound. I guess it comes down to what you want to use the camera for; it's certainly not a camera you'd buy on a whim.

• Premium Member

The condition of a $200 camera may vary, an overhauled Beaulieu would be a closer comparison for its market.

Sent my 4008 to Bjorn in Sweden for a complete overhaul. Probably $500 all in with shipping to Europe. So yes, $700 for a better than new camera.

Sent my 4008 to Bjorn in Sweden for a complete overhaul. Probably $500 all in with shipping to Europe. So yes, $700 for a better than new camera.

It is what I have done, this is a test reel with Vision3 50 d. The camera has been overhaul and collimated by Björn.

It may come down to how important the Logmar's registration is to you and if you wish to pay for it. They regard it as a professional camera, so perhaps it's aimed at commercials etc that want Super 8, but more stable images than the old cameras can manage because of the cartridge/gate limitations.

I think it will be a great camera for sure, would definitely be my first choice. With the R&D vs low production volume, I can't argue about the price either. It's just not cost effective for me as a hobby and artist. It is somewhat tempting to wonder what I could do with it and how much interest i could drum up as far as revenue to justify it. In fact at this point, i wouldn't pitch super 8 in a pro sense unless i had this camera.

I think it would be good in the hands of a lot of DIY film makers in which digital technology has created a lot of. Lately i've been getting more films to scan from people trying out the format as an alternative to video... in which DSLR's have mostly dominated.