Looking for Internship/Class in Camera Maintenance or Repair

Hello all,

I really enjoy using old film cameras (super 8, 8mm and 16mm) to shoot movies, but I feel helpless whenever I have a camera issue that I know I could fix with the right tools and a little experience. I have started to open up my Bolex 8mm cameras and do some CLA and am currently working towards attaining enough knowledge and experience to become a camera technician.

I'm looking for anyone who teaches a course in camera maintenance or runs a camera repair shop and wouldn't mind taking in a trainee. I am a student right now, and I would work for free so long as I could get some experience working on 8mm/super8 and 16mm cameras.

This is something I really enjoy doing and while I have aspirations of becoming a filmmaker, camera repair seems like a good way to make a living.

• Premium Member

Bolexes and super 8 cameras share very little technology with Arri or Panavision cameras.

What the OP needs is an old timer who specializes in fixing Bolexes. http://www.bolexusa.com

Super 8 cameras are easier as the "S8 movement" has become pretty huge in the last few years. http://www.pro8mm.com

In terms of becoming a bench technician for professional film cameras, those days are unfortunately over. The rental houses are selling their film cameras, the technician's are being laid off and those who still retain positions are being forced to learn digital camera service, which is all about electronics. Studying film camera service as a career, is a dead end unfortunately. You'd be better off going to electrical engineering school with a minor in digital imaging. Then you'd be valuable to a rental house, but you'd still need to know each of the cameras inside and out; Red, Arri, Sony, Canon, Blackmagic, Phantom, etc.. So the first step would be interning at a rental house and learning the ropes. From experience, this doesn't work well because the rental houses are so busy, it's hard to find the quality time necessary with someone to learn things quickly. Even if you had a degree, even if you were hired right away because of your expertise in electronics, the learning curve is tremendous.

So yea, those are my thoughts.

Still begs the question, once you become a "rocket scientist" on 8mm film cameras, who do you go to work for?

Job is in Georgia:

Are you interested in learning more about our new ALEXA 65 large format digital camera system among many other technologies? The Digital & Analog Camera Technician, is a full-time position responsible for servicing and maintaining our digital and analog rental equipment. This person will work directly with the General Manager maintaining the inventory, fine tuning the equipment during the customers prep and answering workflow questions.

This position involves servicing of professional digital & analog motion picture cameras, lenses and accessories, such as Arricam ST & LT, ALEXA 65, ALEXA Plus & XT, Amira, Phantom Flex and various other cameras. Experience with Codex, SxS, CF and other Data storage equipment required.

Hey, thank you for all your replies and input. I live it NYC and I intend on trying to get a job working for Steve Gal of Du-All Camera. I have already talked to Steve in person, and while he seemed to appreciate my interest in film cameras he said I would need more experience before I could get a job working for him. As I have had a difficult time finding anywhere else on the east coast that specializes in film cameras, I am going to ask Steve if I could do an apprenticeship there, sweeping the floors, cleaning the shelves, etc for free and then trying to learn some things when I can.

As many of you know, Du-All also rents out Alexas, Red Epics, Black Magics, etc., so in addition to learning about film cameras I'd also hope to expand my knowledge about pro digital cameras as well.

The root of this quest is for my own love/interest in making professional quality movies with super 8, 8mm and 16mm medium. However, I realize that the more popular thing these days and the thing that may lead to more jobs is the ability to shoot with digital equipment. I intend to be proficient at both film and digital when I get out of school.