Car Commercial - Need help from experts!!!

Matias Nicolas

Hi! Im shooting mi first car commercial and the client wants the 4x4 Renault white, and there is no chance to chage the color to a darker one. Im shooting indoor and outdoor. Which problems do you think I will find? Cause I know darker cars are better to have for ex, the sunset/dawn reflection of the sky on it's side and with a white car I think I won't...

Also I'm shooting the car indoor in a kind of garage.

Any recomendation?

My 2 cents -

1 - Go with strong negative fill so you still have contrast.

2 - How you light the background of the garage is going to matter, considering its a car you might be shooting at something like 5.6 - 8 I guess so art design and lighting of the garage seems important.

3 - If your camera allows it you might want to boost the knee value, unless you like to leave such things upto post.

• Premium Member

White cars are a challenge. That's why you almost never see them on commercials. I'm afraid the best visual advice I can give is to fight even harder to get a silver or darker car. You can't win with a white car unless you can dirty it up in mud.

• Premium Member

I am not an expert, but I did recently attend a seminar with Bill "Cars" Bennett, ASC.

It seems that in the US, absolutely all car commercials, without exception, are required to have a "desert sunset" look, with the whole horizon-reflected-in-panels look. As has been made very clear, that's going to be tricky with a white vehicle (it could be done, I'm convinced, but only by making the car practically a silhouette with solely the reflection defining its shape).

Consider, then, some other approach. An interior, perhaps, with top light?

Adventurous lighting?

A contrasting location?

Doubtless the answer will be, no, we want it to look like a standard, boring, off-the-shelf car commercial, but we're not going to give you the tools to do it. In which case either do it, take the money, and forget about it, or don't do it.

P

• Upvote 1

Now you tell me.. actually the almost total lack of trees one of the problems.. basically only one big street.. where (thank god) the official BMW driver of this new model.. managed to crash it.. on the second shot.. so we could only shoot one side of the car after that !! you couldn't write this stuff..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• Premium Member

I am not an expert, but I did recently attend a seminar with Bill "Cars" Bennett, ASC.

On that note, if you sign up for the "Friends of the ASC" subscription on the ASC website, you will have access to Bill's video tutorials as well as a bunch of others. He knows all the tricks in the book when it comes to car spots.