shooting s16 on unmodified 16mm mags with Arri SRII

Luke Randall

• Premium Member

I dug up my old SR3adv footage and it looks like to have pretty accurately 0.70mm edge width. And yes you CAN reverse engineer these things also according to the camera gate because some rare occasional scratching or pressure sensitization does NOT matter if it happens outside the picture area, especially because you always crop the image a bit in printing or scanning to get rid of the frame mask. the guides would be more difficult to modify, so it could be easier to just buy a modified mag as suggested.

-------

Maybe I'm so used to Russian cameras that I'm unable to understand why it's so 'impossible' to modify or repair something by yourself in the field or at home ;)

Mounting the roller on a stub mandrill would be another possibility for holding the roller, but an accurate stub mandrill would have to be turned, you probably couldn't just use a screw, call it good and have the roller turn out concentric. Adds to the time and cost of turning downs a couple of rollers as well.

:" the film guides would be tougher to modify, I believe you would need a cnc milling machine for the work at least?", no. We put a man on the moon with manual mills and lathes. Accurate measurements are needed.

Edited by JD Hartman