Did anyone already try using a Super 16 zoom lens with the new Sony FS7/FS5 2K Center crop mode?

Ariel Glikson

I dont know about the Fs5.. its a bit more of a glorified prosumer camera..and would be very front heavy.. but the Fs7 should be totally fine.. its the same sensor,if not the same processing,as the F5.. the big difference is its an E mount lens port.. not the EZ/PL of the F5/55.. and apparently on the flimsy side.. any zoom lens ,support would be a good idea..

Centre crop is literally that.. just reading off the centre of the S35mm sensor.. its also a handy digital zoom..when shooting off the full sensor in HD.. strangely the new Canon 4K C300 II .. has centre scan.. but only in HFR mode.. even though you have 24/25/30 fps available .. there is no audio in that mode.. they just cant seem get right over at canon in the video camera dept..

Yes probably the same sensor.. wouldn't make sense to make one just for the Fs5 I guess.. but the camera itself is not a baby Fs7 and not in the same league as the F5.. which is why its only about $6,000.. no Cine EI.. no LUTs.. only 8 bit 420 4K,records to SD cards and only XAVC L (Long GOP).. no RAW..but a great HD camera or B camera..it replaces the Fs700..

• Site Sponsor

I suppose Sony will make a "Raw" output for it at some point using the SDI port, I could care less about 4K but 50Mb/s is a bit low for 10-bit 422 1080p IMO, too bad it can't record 100Mb/s XVAC as 1080p 10bit.

I was thinking about picking one up (I have an A7s) but then I went and bought an Aaton XTR-Prod....