Kodak 65mm 1000 ASA Stock

Ari, I have seen the results of pushed T-Max 400 - albeit online. However, the photographer made large prints from those pushed negs. If T-Max 3200 can be pushed by six stops, T-Max 400 can be pushed to about 4 or even 5 stops. It's not a hypothetical. :-)

The only drawback is that for every stop you push (i.e. underexpose, as you don't need to push negative film) you lose a stop of shadow detail. Pushing makes it easier to print but stretches the contrast. I think you need to use Diafine for best results, though.

In 1985, at least one sports photographer I know of pushed Fuji 400 by three stops and got very usable results. If you can do that with 1980s colour negative technology, you can do it with T-grained b&w film.

• Premium Member

Back on topic, I would assume that if Mr. Nolan ordered a sufficient quantity of film negative, say... 10 million feet, Kodak might seriously think about making the stock. Whoever the loader is, I hope they keep all those short ends.

• Upvote 1

TMax 3200 is 1-1/3 to 1-2/3 stops faster than TMax400 to begin with, and can be pushed an extra two, by your own description, meaning it can see about 3-1/2 stops further into the shadows than the 400.

So the faster film is the logical choice for pushing in an ultra-low-light situation.

I've pushed plenty of 400 film, and I wish I would have had 800 or 1600 film, instead. Don't tell me the 400 is the better choice because that disagrees with all repudable information, including that of the manufacturers and people who have shot film in low light and their results, opinions, and published, documented studies that measure the performance of pushed film.

Sayign that 400 pushes better than a faster fiml designed for pushing is incorrect and bad advice and I encourage someone who wants to push fiml to use the fastest, new-emulsion stock available, not a slower stock pushed more stops!

TMax 3200 is 1-1/3 to 1-2/3 stops faster than TMax400 to begin with,

Er, no, 3 stops. I'd expect to be able to push even a pre-T-grain film such as HP5 two stops with no trouble at all. It's pretty grainy but shadow detail isn't a problem.

Its true speed is about 1,000, so yes, my numbers are correct. That's why it's TMZ *P*3200. The P shows it's not a true 3,200.

What he's arguing, the important part of the statement, is that somehow a 400 film pushed to 3200 is a better choice than a 1,000 film pushed to 3200.