Movies with great Environmental Cinematography

Was wondering if anyone know of any movies with great Environmental Cinematography?

This can range from space, nature, cityscape, landscape; basically, cinematography where the environment is used as the focal point or as an instrument or technique to bring about certain mood or emotions.

Director of Photography: Emmanuel Chivo Lubezki's recent work on the Revenant is of course a good example.

Edited by Jack Johnson_38359

• Premium Member

I remember Blade Runner was received very well for that.

37e69b4ae9fa76cd1b67cc9e0331e5a7.jpg

Definitely a great choice.

For cityscapes, I would go with The French Connection (1971,) Serpico (1973,) The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (1974,) and Taxi Driver (1976.) As a friend of mine always says when he watches Pelham (which I love,) you can almost see the grit of the city.

• Premium Member

There are the sort of "world-building" science fiction / fantasy movies like "Blade Runner" (and many others, such as "City of Lost Children") and there are the ones that capture the textures of a real location such as the 1970's urban movies that Bill mentions. And of course, historical dramas that recreate a past environment with great attention to detail (westerns such as "Heaven's Gate" or "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" come to mind immediately.) Tarkovsky movies seem to cover all those categories.

• Premium Member

Some films from my movie collection:

Cityscapes:

Man with a Movie Camera

Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

Vertigo

Rome: Open City

Band of Outsiders

The Conformist

I Am Cuba

Taxi Driver

The French Connection

Annie Hall

The Warriors

Dog Day Afternoon

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Risky Business

Chungking Express

Three Colors: Red

Se7en

Narc

Lost in Translation

City of God

Period/Nature:

Gone With the Wind

How Green Was My Valley

The Searchers

Seven Samurai

Lawrence of Arabia

L'Avventura

The Godfather, Part II

Deliverance

Tess

Paris, Texas

Amadeus

Days of Heaven

Koyaanisqatsi

The Last Emperor

Legends of the Fall

Saving Private Ryan

The Shawshank Redemption

The Thin Red Line

Pride & Prejudice

The Tree of Life

The Master

Fantasy/Science Fiction:

Nosferatu

Metropolis

The Red Shoes

Black Narcissus

2001: A Space Odessey

8 1/2

Alien

The Shining

The Empire Strikes Back

Blade Runner

Legend

The Princess Bride

Brazil

City of Lost Children

The Double Life of Veronique

Amelie

Dark City

Minority Report

The Fellowship of the Ring

The Dark Knight

Suburbia:

ET

Back to the Future

Goodfellas

American Beauty

Far From Heaven

Carol

• Premium Member

Some of the films fit better than others, to be sure. But I was mostly thinking of the scenes after Henry and Karen get married. Not sure what borough they're set in. Especially outside her mother's house where he asks her to hide the gun, driving around the leafy neighborhood while high, the domestic scenes. Even most of the 'city' scenes don't feel like cityscapes to me - the diner near the airport, the various dive bars, the cab stand, there's a small town kinda feel to them. Maybe as close as you get to suburbia within New York City limits?

I actually wanted to make categories by city originally but then I got lazy.

• Premium Member

Some of the films fit better than others, to be sure. But I was mostly thinking of the scenes after Henry and Karen get married. Not sure what borough they're set in. Especially outside her mother's house where he asks her to hide the gun, driving around the leafy neighborhood while high, the domestic scenes. Even most of the 'city' scenes don't feel like cityscapes to me - the diner near the airport, the various dive bars, the cab stand, there's a small town kinda feel to them. Maybe as close as you get to suburbia within New York City limits?

Yup, very accurate. Karen's neighborhood is actually right at the Queens/Nassau border. And I think some exteriors were shot in my current Queens neighborhood. And yes, if you look at the framing, everything is very insular & familial - just like the old-school NYC mob did it back then.

• Premium Member

Almost any movie where the mood, atmosphere, production design, cinematography is dominant, even oppressive, would be a good example -- "Apocalypse Now" would be one, and "Thin Red Line" in a similar vein. Or a movie where the setting was as important as the characters, something with a strong sense of place or space such as "Days of Heaven" or "2001". Most Terry Gilliam movies -- "Brazil" for example. I'd almost start with movies known for their strong production design, just to get going.

Interesting. I immediately thought of non narrative documentaries, as in our literal environment (earth):

Lessons of Darkness

Visitors

Qatsi Trilogy

Pina

Samsara

There are tons more in this genre with beautiful cinematography but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

• 2 weeks later...