New Kodak "Brownie"

Mark Day

It appears that Kodak is going to introduce a new "Brownie" this fall. I am going to assume it will be a super 8 format and film will once again be supplied in cartridges. My question is this: Wouldn't it be wise then if going to purchase a vintage camera, that the smart thing to do would be to purchase one that used the super 8 cartridges? I'm thinking that once this camera is introduced, Kodak will want to push their super 8 cartridges again. I would like some opinions. Is this an intelligent assumption?

Edited by Mark Day

• Premium Member

I am unaware of a "Brownie" rumour, but

1) Kodak will be introducing a new Super 8 cine-film camera in CQ4/2016, first presented to the public at CES this year.

This has been widely discussed in this forum and elsewhere.

2) Kodak is selling Super 8 film stock in the Kodak Instamatic cartridge now as it did since 1965. You will find that overall supply never stopped, and Kodak is promoting the Super 8 format just fine.

3) If you want to purchase a "vintage camera", choose the cine-film format according to the aesthetics and production practicalities. To buy S8 vintage just because Kodak may introduce a new camera and hence push S8 more does not make much sense. It would make sense to buy into S8 because of the new camera, if you are new to the format and hesitant of investing in vintage gear that may require more than just CLA to get top image acquisition... although "vintage" production cameras by Beaulieu, Bauer, Nizo, Canon will remain attractive due to their optics and certain features that cannot be replicated with either the new Kodak camera or a digital post chain.

4) Super 8 has quite a rich ecosystem of third party providers across the globe. Those have been pushing S8 quite successfully for various means and purposes, so S8 is really no longer ultra-dependent on Kodak to continue to exist. An analogue word be Polaroid-based instant film and its supply by third parties long after Polaroid ceased to exist in the way Edwin Land had founded it.

So, yes, S8 didn't see that much corporate support from Kodak itself since the mid-1980s, when it sold cameras of its own alongside a portfolio of film stocks. But it's not that this show of support is a make-or-break or big-saviour act. Super 8 did better over the past 20 years than enternal doomsday sayers like Jürgen Lossau were portraying it in their publications.

That's what I wanted to know. Unfortunately right now all I have is a pair of Bolexes. A D8La and an H8. I was thinking about a 'cartridge' load camera, but probably wouldn't be ready to spring for Kodak's price once available. (Don't know why I called it a 'Brownie')

Now, I see the cameras you mentioned and I know they're good cameras, but what about the Nikon? Were any of their movie cameras any good?

• Premium Member

Right, so you are shooting Double 8 and screen them as Normal 8. Yeah, I can see know why you are considering the Super 8 cartridge system as something else and distinct ;) .

Nikon's only claim to fame comes from the Nikon R10 model. Don't bother with any other Nikon cameras. Back then, they were not nearly where they are today in terms of market dominance, tech leadership and brand premium.

There have been plenty of forum threads here discussing the pros and cons of the Nikon R10 camera. Search for them. Some former users and I spent long threads discussing the intricacies of the camera, and we deconstructed the myths surrounding it quite thoroughly.

Since then, I've personally never been convinced again by the acclaim that the Nikon R10 gets from its followers. My advice: Don't bother. And whatever anyone tells you, including published books by Jürgen Lossau, do not believe the legend that it is "pin registered". The Nikon R10 does not only have no registration pin, it also does not have a double registration pin, and it certainly does not have two double registration pins! The Nikon R10 is not a Mitchell S35!! B)

Beaulieu/Bauer/Nizo production cameras are always the better choice in terms of optics, features, reliability, and Canon is the better choice for 'Made in Japan' cameras of the era.

Which model 814? In general though, it is considered a very solid performer. I have shot with them before and it was much like many other well made cameras of that time. The 814 xls is easily on most peoples top five list.

That should work fine. Tested OK by seller and so nicely complete, what more could you want.

Keep the packaging and accessoiries. Will be useful when you want to upgrade and want to sell.

After exposing a fortune of film :)