Favorite portable lighting source?

• Premium Member

What is your portable lighting source of choice? Anything that can be run off a battery. Obviously we all use sun guns but else are you guys using.

Anyone care for the Kino Kamio? What else?

• Premium Member

Hi,

I have some 100W fluorescent softlights I built (and posted pictures of ages ago) which will run off an inverter; they're often used for walking fill. Sadly because of the highly inductive nature of the ballasted load, the unfortunate carrier has to hold not only the lamp and battery, but also a large iron-cored mains isolation transformer (weight at least another 15lbs) which is the only way they'll run without the inverter complaining.

Phil

hi

i like to use my big size maglight with a small light box i built and i can put any diffusen or color correcting filter.(my maglight is recharchbel)

ram

p.s.

what is kamio kino?

Edited by ramdop

• Premium Member
What is your portable lighting source of choice? Anything that can be run off a battery. Obviously we all use sun guns but else are you guys using.

Anyone care for the Kino Kamio? What else?

Haven't tried the Kino Kamio (post a link!) but as soon as these guys get their heads out of their @**3$ and bring their prices down by about 70%, THESE will be my favourites:

http://www.litepanels.com/1x1.html

They just need to recognize that they don't have to make up ALL of the development cost on the first 50 customers. As soon as they understand the pricing-elasticity-of-demand, everyone will own them. Dialable color temp, battery or AC, 10,000 hour LED life, no heat, lightweight, high output, etc.

• Premium Member

The Kino Kamio,

I've demoe'd this in a studio but never brought it out into the field.

http://www.kinoflo.com/rental_2004/001_rent/kamio_kit.html

Yes, by portable I was thinking of something battery powered that would be fairly unobtrusive and easy to pack. Something small like a 2 foot kino, a Kamio, a sun gun...

The thing about mag lights is they're going to begin to power down rapidly and I'm sure you're going to get changes in color temp. Also I don't think they are powerful enough to fill in sunlight on a bright sunny day ext.

Any other tricks of the trade?

• Premium Member
Hi,

Prior art! Prior art!

What're they charging for those? Mine was cheap enough to build.

Phil

Prior art? I don't think so, Phil. The LitePanels are LED, not flo. As for price, they are charging $2500 for a 12"x12" panel. Ridiculous. The top-o-the-cam lite is something like $1300. Don't know about the ringlight.

This company may very well go under even while their product is revolutionary (Not just better bulbs, NO bulbs!) because they are too greedy. If they came down in price to something near what they have in them, everyone in the world would have to have them. THEN they could start creeping the price up and make a profit. Like Toyota did with the hybrid cars. You can't make the early adopters foot the entire R&D bill.

Stupid. Maybe I'll buy the company..

Hi,

I have some 100W fluorescent softlights I built (and posted pictures of ages ago) which will run off an inverter; they're often used for walking fill. Sadly because of the highly inductive nature of the ballasted load, the unfortunate carrier has to hold not only the lamp and battery, but also a large iron-cored mains isolation transformer (weight at least another 15lbs) which is the only way they'll run without the inverter complaining.

Phil

yeah im interested in that too, could you post some pics again or do you even have some examples of shots you lit with that thing ?

• Premium Member

Hi,

Let's just be clear a sec - the 100W panels I was referring to are not the same thing I pictured, which is a 40W 12.5x12.5x1" device; the 100W ones are a different thing altogether. I could certainly create a 100W version of the flat square panel, though (it'd probably be about half an inch deeper.)

I don't have any shots to which it's a major contributor, other than just night exterior ENG, where it certainly is a lot less harsh than a PAG light. Actually, I do have some stuff from an R&B promo I shot, but I'm still waiting on the tape...

If a few people register an interest I'll shoot some demo stuff and price it up, although I can certainly promise it'll be a hell of a lot less than $2500 apiece. The device is dimmable, but doesn't include a dimmer, if you see what I mean... again it's something I can add easily enough. The CT is probably similar to white LEDs, that is very cyan, but correctable. The one I have has a general purpose 10mm tube frame on the back for mounting, a standard spud might be preferable, I thought about putting a PAG/AB battery mount right on the back, and I've tried putting latches on the edge for making up arrays; it'd make a pretty compact big source.

Tell me what you want...

Come one, come all!

Phil

• Premium Member
Hi,

Let's just be clear a sec - the 100W panels I was referring to are not the same thing I pictured, which is a 40W 12.5x12.5x1" device; the 100W ones are a different thing altogether. I could certainly create a 100W version of the flat square panel, though (it'd probably be about half an inch deeper.)

I don't have any shots to which it's a major contributor, other than just night exterior ENG, where it certainly is a lot less harsh than a PAG light. Actually, I do have some stuff from an R&B promo I shot, but I'm still waiting on the tape...

If a few people register an interest I'll shoot some demo stuff and price it up, although I can certainly promise it'll be a hell of a lot less than $2500 apiece. The device is dimmable, but doesn't include a dimmer, if you see what I mean... again it's something I can add easily enough. The CT is probably similar to white LEDs, that is very cyan, but correctable. The one I have has a general purpose 10mm tube frame on the back for mounting, a standard spud might be preferable, I thought about putting a PAG/AB battery mount right on the back, and I've tried putting latches on the edge for making up arrays; it'd make a pretty compact big source.

Tell me what you want...

Come one, come all!

Phil

I'd be interested if they were a pair of 12"x24" daylight panels that came in their own shipping crate AND replacement bulbs were easy to find on this side of the pond. The 15lb. isolation transformers would be a great thing to hang from the stand instead of a sandbag. It would also be good if they could mount vertically or horizontally to the stand.

What's the output, fall-off like?

• Premium Member

Hi,

Lamp replacement: Anywhere that carries decorative lighting for computers or cars is likely to have them, and they're not expensive. It'd be rather like replacing an unknown fluorescent tube in that you could hit colour grade issues. Not something I'd have thought would be a crippling problem.

The isolation transformer isn't an issue for these flat panels, they're 12V input. That was the other type.

What wattage would you want for these 12x24? I'll measure the one I've got for output and let you know what you get per watt. It's a completely soft 180-degree source, so it falls off quickly like any fluorescent.

Phil

Edited by Phil Rhodes