Recording sync sound (16mm / SR3)

Brenton Lee

I'm gearing up to film my first short (15 mins) on 16mm and am going to shoot some tests to make sure the camera / locations / lighting etc all work well. So I figure this is also a great time to test the sound aspect too.

However, I've never recorded sound for use in film, only digital where it basically syncs itself in post production. I always have a 2nd AC for slating so that makes it easy.

I'm going to use a Zoom H6 / Rode NTG for these tests and need to know if there's any particular settings I should have things set to? Anything I need to look for? I probably won't hire a sound guy for the tests as it's more about checking everything syncs well than the actual quality.

Frame rates / data rates etc?

Sounds like you've been syncing your H6 to whatever sound your digital camera captured up to this point.

Use a slate and make sure it's legible and also say what take it is.

I always record on "stereo" w/ my H4n.

It'll be easier if your camera records crystal but if it's just a "wild" motor wind up like a k3, Scoopic, etc. , I'd think you can finagle the sync later as long as you don't have a bunch of extended monologues dialog-wise.

If your camera is loud (Non crystal-sync) you're gonna have to put a heavy jacket or something around that sucker to shut him up. Experiment with zooming and distances, it can be done; welcome to the pain in the ass world of vintage!

Try to test a lav mic if you can too. Do those tests and if you stay organized with your takes you should be OK.

• Premium Member

I don't think the H6 can do framerates, I think it's "beats" and real-time only.

So yea, just hit the record button and you're good to go. This isn't the old days with non-crystal analog equipment that can easily shift out of sync.

• Premium Member

Brenton, will you record sound on tape? If you employ crystal controls, it’ll be 24 frames and 15 inches per second or 7½.

25 frames are equal to 7½ inches, 25 times 0.3". There were/are recorders for perforated magnetic film. Portable. Well, to some extent.