Tips for Fuji Reala 500?? (16 mm)

opatica

Anyone have experience with this film stock? Any one tested with different source (available light) or with alternative processing techniques?

I'm about to test it for a film. I wil shoot outside in a back alley but with a yellow street light and pointing some times inside apartments. And I will use blue screens in some windows. Basicaly I will play around with different light to get a bluish general outside light with orange light sources (inside windows...) generating pools of lighg and different layers... Lot's of fun!!!!

• Premium Member
Anyone have experience with this film stock? Any one tested with different source (available light) or with alternative processing techniques?

I'm about to test it for a film. I wil shoot outside in a back alley but with a yellow street light  and pointing some times inside apartments. And I will use blue screens in some windows. Basicaly I will play around with different light to get a bluish general outside light with orange light sources (inside windows...) generating pools of lighg and different layers... Lot's of fun!!!!

Please include Kodak VISION2 500T Color Negative 7218 in your tests. I think you will find 7218 to be much lower in graininess, and to have richer blacks with more shadow detail. It sounds like you are wanting to hold the different colors of light to add interest, and not subdue them. You can push it if needed, but you probably won't need to:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products....4.4.4.14&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...0.1.4.4.4&lc=en

Hi,

I shot a short film in the palmdale desert on Reala 500D.

I also shot tests, the tests revealed the stock to have VERY good underexposure lattitude, but it lacked overexposure lattitude, the tests were a while back but I seem to remember that we (the director and I) almost opted to shoot the whole project slightly (1/2 or a full stop) underexposed.

I also remember that when we went even one stop over the image got really milky and seemed a little soft, it also lost a lot of color saturation when even slightly overexposed. Reala worked very well for the project I used it on because the director wanted a very soft, milky, pastelly look, if you are shooting a gritty night scene (for example) I would probably suggest using 5218 instead, but that's what testing is for!

Good luck.

Tomas.

you may also want to consider the Eterna or 8672, 8572 which ever you are shooting. Eterna is an incredible film as is the 500T. The later has a lot of grain, which contrary to what many people consider a bad thing, is actually quite pretty. All the Vision 2 stocks are great, but so is Fuji and Fuji is cheaper.

chris

:)

• 5 months later...

I tested the Reala500D on a late overcast afternoon, available light only. Pushed 1 stop in the lab. I didn't like stock under these conditions. The grain was overwhelming. Maybe I did something wrong. My exposure were on. It was very overcast and the print had a blue tint to it. The skin tones were great but everything else was blue. It had good blacks. Maybe some filtration would of helped with the overcast situation. Any suggestions?

• Premium Member

I tested Reala 500D in Super-16 when it came out. It's a rather soft & grainy stock in general. You can sort of see this in 35mm shows like "Garden State", "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", and "Sideways", all of which used 500D.

"I Love Huckabees" overexposed this stock by a full stop (250 ASA) and shot in 35mm anamorphic; the results weren't bad, grain-wise.

Personally if I had to shoot this stock, I'd probably do likewise and overexpose. Otherwise, I'd rather use Eterna 500T with an LLD filter or no filter and correct in post, or use Kodak 5205 250D and push one stop if necessary. The only advantage to Fuji Reala 500D is that it handles Cool White flos better than other stocks.