Arri SR1 Super 16mm lens options

Mitch Lucas

Hello all,

I recently purchased an Arri SR1 at auction. I was originally told it was standard 16, but to my surprise when I received it, it had a S16 conversion and a PL mount lens.

This changes my plans a bit as I was just looking for standard 16mm and lenses are harder to come by.

Can you guys give me some recommendations on lenses that cover this model for super 16mm? I am completely confused at coverage.

Do Zeiss CP work?

Can I use a zoom with an Arri B mount and adaptor?

Upon speaking with DuAll camera, the only option they recommended was an Angenieux 15-150mm 2.8 PL mount which was outside my current price range.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hello all,

I recently purchased an Arri SR1 at auction. I was originally told it was standard 16, but to my surprise when I received it, it had a S16 conversion and a PL mount lens.

This changes my plans a bit as I was just looking for standard 16mm and lenses are harder to come by.

Can you guys give me some recommendations on lenses that cover this model for super 16mm? I am completely confused at coverage.

Do Zeiss CP work?

Can I use a zoom with an Arri B mount and adaptor?

Upon speaking with DuAll camera, the only option they recommended was an Angenieux 15-150mm 2.8 PL mount which was outside my current price range.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

What PL mount lens did it come with?

Maybe you can sell it and buy a cheap PL zoom of some kind.

Or you could shoot with the lens you have.

Or you could shoot with a standard 16 zoom and avoid the wider end of the zoom (probably will do your head in tho)

Does the ground glass have marking for standard16 too?

In that case you could just shoot standard 16 with standard 16 lenses on the camera.

The lens is probably centered on Super16 if you shoot and zoom at the same time but then you probably don't want to do that.

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

Hi, thanks for your response!

The camera did not come with a lens, so I am starting cold. The ground glass is set for super 16mm, I like the idea of getting a standard 16mm zoom and just avoiding the wider end.

I'm assuming certain standard 16mm primes could work, but I have a Schneider 16mm Arri S that I hear would not fit.

I'm assuming certain standard 16mm primes could work, but I have a Schneider 16mm Arri S that I hear would not fit.

You mean is in Arri Standard mount?

Actually there are arri standard to PL mount adaptors out there. Could be worth a try.

Lenses with focal lengths of 25mm and above have a good chance of working in Super16 too.

If you fancy shooting in Super16.

I actually think it's quite cool that your camera is Super16 but yeah... lenses...

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

• Premium Member

Newer S35mm glass will cover everything no problem. You can adapt B mount to work on PL, the adaptors aren't that expensive.

The problem is most B glass is not S16. The format came about right during the B to PL change in the industry. So most S16 glass is PL mount unless adapted to S16, which there is quite a bit of glass like that out there.

• Premium Member

There have been threads on this topic that might be worth looking at, for example:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=59808

A Google search of the cinematography dot com site should dig up plenty more about S16 coverage and SR lens compatibility.

This is a good resource on S16 lenses:

http://cinematechnic.com/resources/optics_for_super-16

Be careful with PL adapted Standard mount lenses - some of them protrude too deep and/or wide on SRs and can hit baffles or the mirror. Check them carefully for clearance with the lens set to infinity (where it protrudes the most). Schneiders are tricky because early ones won't work on SRs but later versions will.

Bayonet mount lenses should be fine in terms of clearing the mirror, but wider angles may not cover S16. For example, a Kinoptik 5.7mm does, but an Angenieux 5.9mm doesn't.

Good PL adapters for B mount lenses start around US$350, and use a lock ring to secure the adapter to the lens. Cheaper ones can work but the grub screw attachment method can damage the B mount or even cause focus binding, and the haphazard quality control means that the lens will probably need a back-focus adjustment.

• Premium Member

I'm not a fan of adapters. I purchased an Arri Standard-to-PL adapter when I got my Super16 SR-II. I could have been doing something wrong, but my Zeiss primes really weren't compatible with the adapter.

I suggest you purchase PL-lenses for PL-mounts.

• Premium Member

Last question-

Would zeiss Compact Primes work on the Arri PL? I have an opportunity to borrow one to test the camera.

Thanks all who have responded.

Large barrelled lenses like Master Primes can foul on the SR viewfinder, I haven't tested a CP.2 on an SR but they are pretty squat and wide lenses so you'd definitely need to check that. I suspect they'll fit but you may need to angle the viewfinder up a bit.