Ranking Bottom of the PL Barrel

Wanted to know your opinions with what seems to be available for s35 covering lenses. Strictly on look and operational smoothness alone (assuming they're well serviced), how would you stack the following budget prime sets:

-RED Pro Prime

-SLR Magic APO HyperPrime

-Rokinon Xeen

-Zeiss CP.2

-Sony SCL Primes

I have a hunch CP.2 will be everyone's top.

As always, thanks for participating with the lists.

• Premium Member

Red Pro Primes look sharp, but they are huge and heavy. I don't think you'll want to lug those around!

Sony Mk1 Primes are ok. Focus marks and feel are terrible. Haven't tried the newer versions, but they are supposed to be much improved.

SLR Magic APO - I've only tried the 50mm, but it looked good. I think that's the only lens in PL mount though. Most of the other lenses are E mount or Micro 4/3.

Why not look at the new Zeiss CP3's, just announced at NAB? Seems like they fixed a lot of issues.

I would also check out the new Sigma Cine Primes, apparently they are optically quite good. Small and lightweight too. I like their stills lenses. Probably not as nice to pull focus with as the Zeiss.

Why not look at the new Zeiss CP3's, just announced at NAB? Seems like they fixed a lot of issues.

I would also check out the new Sigma Cine Primes, apparently they are optically quite good. Small and lightweight too. I like their stills lenses. Probably not as nice to pull focus with as the Zeiss.

I'm sure those'll look pretty nice but it's a budgetary thing for me. Do you think the release of the Cp3 will dip the CP2's used price? From what I've seen the CP2s still retain a certain 3 dimensional Hollywood quality for $2000 and change.

• Premium Member

I dunno how "cheap" they'll be, though, the market seems to have been inflating lens prices a bit for awhile as more PL systems come to market, and I'd think CPs would still hold to just about the same cost they are now on the used market.

• Premium Member

I am personally not a fan of Samyang lenses so the Xeens would be out of question unless I would have change to intensively test just the particular lens I'd been buying to ensure that it would not have manufacturing defects and it would be optically as intended. I have just had too many problems with every samyang lenses I've been using, especially mechanical problems, so it would need quite much work that I would trust the Xeens for any bigger project. the t-stops are promising but the mechanics and coatings matter more in cine work.

For me the CP2's would be the obvious choice I think if I would not need wide angles much. their wides are not that fast and you still need to stop these down about one stop so it would be a bit limiting to use the below 25mm focal lenghts. the mechanics are good and one could trust them more than the samyang ones I think. CP3's may be over the price range.

I would love to test the Schneider Xeon FF primes some time, they could still fit the price range you are after and could maybe be better for your use than the CP2's look-wise.

I kinda like the look of most of Sigma stills lenses, they could work nicely in PL mount if the mechanics are fine. however, if you are mainly using digital cameras and the budget is an issue, you could be much happier with EF or Nikon mount lenses and just changing the camera mount when needed. it would also be much cheaper than trying to get everything in PL, especially if you are shooting lots of special shots and macro where you can benefit from much cheaper special lenses and adapters. calibration is a problem with "cine" stills lenses with for example EF and Nikon mounts and PL is much sturdier mount though