What is this?

John Carty

I was looking at a 16mm bolex camera and I noticed this little strap like thing inside of the camera, I have seen other bolex's and never noticed this piece in their pics.Any idea what this is? and does the camera really need it.

Thanks

post-72575-0-32639100-1504116970_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

So could that camera still use 16mm film stock? or would the result be that only half your film would be exposed

with standard8mm camera ("2x8mm" camera) you have 16mm wide film stock which has perforations on both sides and double the amount of perforations per feet compared to 16mm camera film. with the 2x8mm camera, you will first shoot one side of the film (8mm width of the total 16mm width), and when done, you remount the takeup spool to the feed side but flip it upside down so that you will now expose the other side of the film, again 8mm wide exposure.

After developing, the lab separates the sides by slitting the film from the center to two reels.

So you will run the raw stock TWO times through the camera to first expose one side of the film and then the other side, and AFTER DEVELOPING the exposed film is slit in two separate 8mm reels. If you look the camera's aperture plate you'll see that there is a regular8mm size aperture which exposes only one side of the 16mm raw stock at a time.

The film stock has double the amount of perforations compared to regular 2side perforated 16mm film so you can't use normal 16mm film with it, you'll need raw stock which is specifically perforated for a 2x8mm camera (that be, it has double the amount of perforation holes compared to similar 16mm camera stock and the holes are on both sides of the film)

Edited by aapo lettinen
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for all the great answers,it was a camera that I had seen on e-bay and the guy had it listed as a 16mm, I kind of thought to myself that it was not so I decided to ask the experts. Many thanks again to all that answered.

John