2 magazines with 2 diff film ratings (16mm) and tips please

Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

Sorry for stating the obvious to seasoned pros out there......

Will start shooting soon (within couple of months) so I'm planning to use 2 x 400ft magazines loaded with the same film (Kodak Eastman Double-X) but rating each magazine for the two general 'light' scenarios I am shooting:

Magazine 1 - scenes in full exterior sunlight, contrast (rated at 250 asa - comment please)

Magazine 2 - interiors and shade (rated at 200 asa - comment please)

This means in planning we would shoot the same conditions per day so I don't have to swap magazines out there in the field fogging film as I do it right?

I'm planning on sticking different colour tape on them for easy identification too

Would welcome any other tips in general.....on taping magazines....cover viewfinder who not rolling....hoe long can film sit inside a magazine?? anything and everything...thanks in advance yet again

Edited by Stephen Perera

You just set your ASA rating on your exposure meter for the type of light you're shooting in, you don't have to change mags for the rating, since you're not going to be pushing one of the rolls in the processing. I used to do this with Ilford B & W film, which had a different ASA rating for daylight and tungsten. The manufacturer is just rating the film speed depending on the film's sensitivity in different co;out temperatures.

• Premium Member

I would use the same numbers indoors and outdoors. I rate that stock at 200 ISO and slightly over-expose.

It doesn't matter what the mags are labeled if they're both the same stock. The processing is all the same for indoor, outdoor, it's all standard for B&W negative.