O'Connor 50: What bowl size?

Samuel Berger

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C%7Bcreative%7D%2C%7Bkeyword%7D&gclid=CjwKCAjwyIHPBRAIEiwAHPS-GIW-2eCfPhUXykXR1Zkx6ZjeBwhyAKmQjaQtd8ySifr-m9oko2i7ORoCqk0QAvD_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=366661

I think this is it. I just removed the original tightening handle and replaced it with this. I don't recall it being difficult but it has been a while since I did it.

Edited by David Hessel

Wow that Manfrotto 500BALLSH looks even simpler than I expected! Thank you! Hopefully it will work out. The head is on its way to me, should be here in a week or so.

Going to see if I can find a compatible Davis and Sanford set of legs, they're good and cheap.

Your welcome. I just found my receipt and that is the adapter I got. I have been very happy with my O'connor 50, it might not be as good as what is available now but it is still a great fluid head, plenty good for my needs.

Edited by David Hessel

As I recall and looking at it now I believe there was one minor modification I needed to make. If you look at the picture of the adapter there is a 3/8 bolt and recessed nut on the top. That bolt was too short, if I remember correctly, to get a good connection with the O'connor. I lengthened it by removing it and adjusting the nut. Looking at mine now the nut is no longer recessed and sits above the adapter a little bit.

Here it is on a tripod.

t52f3uR.jpg

Here it is on the O'connor.

jaE6DAu.jpg

Here is the bottom notice the bolt and the nut, this bolt runs all the way through and screws into the bottom of the O'connor.

Z7pO3oX.jpg

Here is the connection to the O'connor you can see the same size nut that is on the bottom.

FSfUhMm.jpg

I was going to take it off but I have it on there really tight and couldn't get it off by hand. I think what I did was remove the bottom nut. Unscrew the bowl adapter from the bolt. I then screwed the bold at the end with the top nut into the O'connor. Screwed the bowl back on tight and put the bottom nut back on last tightening it all down. As I said it is on there so good now I cant remove it without tools. Also I may have added that top nut on top of the one that was there, I don't recall now but it appears that I did.

Edited by David Hessel

David, thanks a lot for the pictures. I was a bit worried I wouldn't be able to use the head with a non-O'Connor set of legs but now I know I can.

Still looking for the least expensive sticks out there, but 100mm isn't going to come cheap.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1335987-REG/benro_a674tm_dual_stage_100mm.html The Benro over here is $399.

I wonder if I could use a 75mm adapter instead of the 100mm so I could buy cheaper legs?

I've noticed that a lot of Miller fluid head tripods have 75mm bowls. Some cinematographers say to go for only 100mm and 150mm yet Miller (made in Australia) have a very good reputation. What is the disadvantage of a 75mm?

I have a theodolite tripod that's quite solid and if I could just find a video fluid head for it that would fit onto its 40mm 'bowl' that would be great. I need something that's going to work for a Bolex H16.

I've noticed that a lot of Miller fluid head tripods have 75mm bowls. Some cinematographers say to go for only 100mm and 150mm yet Miller (made in Australia) have a very good reputation. What is the disadvantage of a 75mm?

I have a theodolite tripod that's quite solid and if I could just find a video fluid head for it that would fit onto its 40mm 'bowl' that would be great. I need something that's going to work for a Bolex H16.

It depends on the weight of the camera, 75mm is suitable for lighter cameras because of the lighter tripods that use it. . Also, as you move the camera with higher levels of fluid drive in the head it does tends to work loose more often with the smaller bowl.

No bowl works, however, it takes longer to level the camera.

The concerns about the head size, geometry, load capacity....

The load capacity is not that meaningful, one could ask those familiar with that head...Any head has a certain strength (load capacity) and stiffness.....For preceise work, the stiffness is the key...

Ask what others have found adequate...

The claims re load carrying capacity are not meaningful.

Thanks Samuel for your helpful advice on the Manfrotto gear for the Bolex. My quest is still continuing; at times I tire of the search and must rest from it :P But soon enlightenment shall come.

Jon,

Send an email to this address: bolexcce AT ellijay DOT com

Make sure to put BOLEX QUESTION on the subject line and ask them all you want about Bolexes. On some items they will give you exorbitant prices, but you'll ignore that and write down the model numbers so you can find the items cheaper somewhere else. If the price seems fine, buy it from them, that business needs to stay in business. Although you are in Brisbane so shipping might be dear.

I will definitely keep that firm in mind, Samuel.

Found these two Millers not too far away, and the shipping shouldn't cost too much. Contacted owner and he said they were a relative's of his and have been in storage since 1991. They mightn't have been used for some years before that. The prices are good! Anyone know if a Miller fluid head likely to still work okay after maybe up to 30 years or more of storage? The fact that the ball bearings have been sitting soaked in oil/grease all that time means they might be fine. I'm more interested in the smaller one with wooden leg tops:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/marks-point/video-camera-accessories/miller-tripods/1161323354

How do they look? A bit old and not very snazzy, sure.

The other alternative, more expensive, is a used Manfrotto 502HD head, flat base mounted on an 055XPROB tripod. This is for a Bolex H16, weight about 4.5kg maximum. Any opinions on these? Thank you.

Edited by Jon O'Brien

Jon, the heads on both of those are the same. I had one of those and it was fine with a kit weighing about 7.5kg. It's a 75mm bowl, fairly basic fluid friction adjustment and no balance spring. You might need a basic bridge plate or a home made cheeze plate so you can balance your camera at high or low angles.The heavier tripod would be the one to get, don't know those legs but looks ok, though the prices are so low that one could get both and just keep a spare head. The smaller tripod is not that usefull looking.

Thanks Gregg, if I buy from him I will take the bigger aluminium one as per your advice. Just going through last moments of indecision. Can anyone comment on what these Manfrotto video tripods are like, for an H16, such as the discontinued 055XPROB, which unlike the bigger Miller/O'Connor 100mm bowl type tripods seem to be able to get a lot lower to the ground and in some ways might be very versatile.

One lesson I learned in the process of getting my kit together is this: buy the right thing the first time. I didn't, and every shortcut I took to save money ended up costing me more money.

My tripod legs arrived today and I made the mistake of not buying one with a spreader. Now I need to figure out how to either make my own with some chains or buy a universal spreader. The universal spreader is ground level, though. The original was mid-level.

Anyway, the Peter Lisand tripod legs seemed to have the right bowl and that was good.

post-10433-0-09324600-1508454111_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions as to how to rig a spreader?