Davis & Sanford tripod help

My Davis & Sanford MAGNUMXG13 tripod no longer flows very smoothly in the horizontal direction. It makes half a lap more tough, and half lap smoother and faster.
How could I solve? I know that the original content of head for grease is not a simple oil, in fact with the years it is slightly ejected out and is sticky, not viscous as oil.
Thank you.
Edited by Luigi Castellitto

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, a tip: it's normal that in nominate tripod with legs locked and head vertically blocked, doing a panning complete of 360 degrees the two bubbles circled in the image (not mine), at the beginning are centered, but then they move to one side, and then return to the center at the end of the panning?

Thank you.

post-61102-0-57148500-1526289708_thumb.jpg

Edited by Luigi Castellitto

It's the same effect that you get when panning a Steadicam, move in the straight line move backwards and forwards the level indicator stays level, but any turns throws it off. These are two spirit levels in a single axis at 90 degrees to each other, so any sideways or rotating motion will throw them out.

Bryan, is it also possible that in a different position, after half panning and blocking, change the level detected by two bubbles? Because of the imperfect floor, inaccurate tiles, etc.

No...three points, the three legs create a plane, you've leveled the plane in the X and Y directions with the two levels, unless you move the tripod, the head will remain level in any position.

Thank you both.

I noticed that when the bubble moves position, the plane is imperfect because of the tripod head. It is not a poor tripod, but not as precise as a high level tripod. The head, looking at it in a 360 panning, does not always seem perfectly leveled.

Thank you both.
I noticed that when the bubble moves position, the plane is imperfect because of the tripod head. It is not a poor tripod, but not as precise as a high level tripod. The head, looking at it in a 360 panning, does not always seem perfectly leveled.

That's your perception of what is happening, if you were to put an accurate level across the machined surfaces of the head you would see otherwise.

This is a half panning (sorry for the quality, it's not clear), the bubble moves at side. If I complete the 360 panning (I could not move well with the camera in my hand, sorry again) the bubble goes back into central place.
I also tried with a carpenter's level on tripod, the same thing happens.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOpZ1uzDs-E&feature=youtu.be

JD, do you mean that you don't see the other bubble? The one on top? I thought it was superfluous to show it, the horizontal bubble already explains that the panning does not remain in level.

I will try to make another video with a wider field. :)

I don't have much space to do a complete panning and shoot with cameraat the same time, but here I also show the bubble on the other axis.
It seems to me that the fluid head is imprecise, otherwise I don't know how else to explain the matter.
In the shot films with the tripod, fortunately, the thing is not visible (maybe yes in line with a millimetrically precise horizon, but it never happened to me), so it would not be a big problem, more a curiosity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-NHKhz8368&feature=youtu.be

Thanks Stuart, maybe it's a non-existent problem, but the bubble is not in level even if I stop, for example, at half panning.

When head is stationary, yes, but after a part of panning (at start is in level).

Indeed, with panning "in running", it is less evident because the bubble is repositioning itself.

Thanks Stuart, maybe it's a non-existent problem, but the bubble is not in level even if I stop, for example, at half panning.

When head is stationary, yes, but after a part of panning (at start is in level).

If the bubble is level in only one position, then the head itself is not level