Ronin S

Robin R Probyn

Just got a Ronin S.. and Sony A7III.. no expert on either but both seem a very good bang for the buck..

Ronin is pretty easy to balance.. there is an auto fine tune for the motors.. and a balance check in the app... never going to put Steadicam ops out of job.. but pretty good pice of gear at a low price.. alot of 3rd party will be coming along for it too.. can already be remote operated off a geared head.. first to make a car mount will coin it..

• Premium Member

Generally after you use a ronin on one job they next one calls in a steadycam. The small ones, for small DSLRs, sure; fine but the big boys; it just doesn't have the flexibility a set really needs and when they are called on it's often a case of being penny wise and pound foolish.

Now; when you're going to be doing some run and gun lifestyle thing-- stuff which may well have been on a glidecam back in the day, then sure, fine, upgrade, woo. But even then; a good steadycam op is going to give you much more bang for the buck and I don't think that perception is changing at all, honestly.

• Upvote 1

I think the higher end productions will still go with Steadicam and an experienced OP.. why not.. and steadicam can deal with the UP/Down axis that these small gimbals cant.. hence everything shot 50 or 60 fps to smooth it out.. and the importance of the Duck Walk :)

What Phil says is also true though .. as yet again alot of inexperienced producers will now think.. oh great now we dont need that expensive steadicam person .. and we can get the ordinary DP.. or the AP to shoot with this amazing bit of cheap gear.. its so easy now .. same as they thought they didnt need lights anymore with a 800 ISO camera..and a s35mm sensor meant everything would be "cinematic".. and Storaro would be picking up his UB40...that wont change Im afraid.. actually its getting worse by the hour ..

Alot of freelance corp/doc DP,s have gimbals now.. I think Im the last of everyone I know to get one..(and still not have a drone !) for B roll on corps.. used sparingly .. they have their uses.. wouldn't want to use one all day though.. get heavy very quickly..