SIGN YOUR POSTS

• Premium Member

Or to put it another way - $%:^{@! sign your posts.

And put the SUBJECT of a new topic in the SUBJECT line, ie. NOT 'Question' NOT 'Need some advice' NOT 'Camera' NOT 'Lighting'. You'd just as well leave the subject line blank as fill it with non-information.

• Premium Member

And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take advantage of the SEARCH function to look through the archives to see if the question or topic has been addressed previously, BEFORE you ask a question.

There must be 200 topics alone titled "What's the Best Light Meter?"

• Premium Member
And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE  take advantage of the SEARCH function to look through the archives to see if the question or topic has been addressed previously, BEFORE you ask a question.

There must be 200 topics alone titled "What's the Best Light Meter?"

This is the best reason to use informative thread subject headings. It makes the search function work much, much better.

"And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE  take advantage of the SEARCH function to look through the archives to see if the question or topic has been addressed previously, BEFORE you ask a question. "

So should I attend film school or not?

Anonymous.

:D

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
The topic says it all.

Please sign your posts with your real name and city.  I feel less inclined to answer people's questions if they continue to insist on hiding behind anonymous monikers.

With all due respect David, it's not all that important. Maybe some people aren't on here to ask you questions. Some people may be just as, or more professional than you, and just up for a discussion.

Sorry, I'm not trying to have an arguement here, I just honestly don't see why people have to make such a big deal out of it.

• Premium Member
With all due respect David, it's not all that important. Maybe some people aren't on here to ask you questions. Some people may be just as, or more professional than you, and just up for a discussion.

Sorry, I'm not trying to have an arguement here, I just honestly don't see why people have to make such a big deal out of it.

Why is this controversial? David gives alot around here and asks very little. What's so tough about signing your posts? Particularly when it's so obviously in your interest to do so. That is, if you want to work in the film/TV industry. Getting your name out there amongst professionals on this board is advertising you can't buy and here it's free.

Now, what do you think is better...Film or HD?

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
Why is this controversial? David gives alot around here and asks very little. What's so tough about signing your posts? Particularly when it's so obviously in your interest to do so. That is, if you want to work in the film/TV industry. Getting your name out there amongst professionals on this board is advertising you can't buy and here it's free.

Now, what do you think is better...Film or HD?

Maybe it IS in their interests, but who cares about their interests? This whole point certainly isn't about that. I agree David does give a lot out of kindness, which is good.

• Premium Member

I just think there is a better sense of a filmmaking community if we talk to eah other using real names and saying where we live. In fact, I feel it brings people closer to the same level, as opposed to me signing my posts but talking to someone with a jokey moniker. Daniel, for example, is a real human being with a face who lives in the U.K. and I am more inclined to feel that it's worth the effort to communicate with him.

• Premium Member
Sorry, but I feel a little freer w/ my opinions and set "gossip" if I retain a shade of anonymity.

People are a little braver when nobody knows who they are.

What do you want to say on cinematography.com that you?re so afraid to reveal your name? You?re not Mark Felt are you?

• Premium Member
Sorry, but I feel a little freer w/ my opinions and set "gossip" if I retain a shade of anonymity.

Sorry then if I have a hard time respecting you opinions if you aren't brave enough to sign your name to them! You can say whatever you want because there are no consequences -- you have no need to attempt to be civil or honest. You don't even have to mean what you say because "J-Ro" is fictional. So why should I even bother to read what you post? Why should "J-Ro" command any respect since he (or she) isn't even real?

It's hard to form a true community if the people involved don't even trust each other enough to use their real names.

Using only nicknames seems very superficial. I'm not saying those who post messages without a signature have nothing important to say. But it's harder to take seriously those who cannot share their name.

It's as if you are walking around this forum dressed in a Barney outfit. It's cute at first, but after a while, you're regarded as merely a whippersnapper. (This is coming from a guy wearing a ridiculous, orange hat.) Do yourself justice. Get a name.

Edited by Andy O'Neil

I just noticed that during the last forum software upgrade the new user registration form's 'Please use your real name' text was replaced with a default. I just put it back so maybe that will help.

Since 1998 the cinematography.com forum has been a public meeting place for camera department people and students from all over the world. If you were in a conventional meeting place and you wanted to speak you'd likely introduce yourself first. There is no reason you can't do the same here.

Sign your posts with your real name. It's polite.

• Premium Member

I don't care that much about the names, myself, though I agree that it's better to post them, but I'll tell you one thing I'm especially sensitive to, is to know the country of someone.

Thanks to think to put your country as well ! Not everybody here is from US ! One thing I like very much about this community is its international dimension.

Sorry then if I have a hard time respecting you opinions if you aren't brave enough to sign your name to them!  You can say whatever you want because there are no consequences -- you have no need to attempt to be civil or honest. You don't even have to mean what you say because "J-Ro" is fictional. So why should I even bother to read what you post?  Why should "J-Ro" command any respect since he (or she) isn't even real?

It's hard to form a true community if the people involved don't even trust each other enough to use their real names.

Well, I would think you would judge my opinions on their merits. Psuedonyms have a long and distinguished history in the world of letters. I will offer my previous posts in defense of my civility.

"Well, if it's a famous city like London or Paris, I don't think you have to mention the country it is in because it's obvious... "

Are you sure?

When I was living in the USA most Americans thought Toronto was in the USA some place. Even the Salt Lake Tribune published a story that listed Toronto as the third most liveable city in America.

I had a another friend from Australia who was constantly being asked by Americans, "how long is the drive from Australia?" I'm not making this up.

Sorry I don't mean to be too cruel regarding the average Americans understanding of world geography. But let's face it when you're a super power you don't pay much attention to the outside world.

So I think adding the country is a good idea.

R,

• Premium Member
Well, I would think you would judge my opinions on their merits. Psuedonyms have a long and distinguished history in the world of letters. I will offer my previous posts in defense of my civility.

Opinions are also judged based on someone's experience, which we have no idea of because you refuse to share any personal information, not even your real name. Nor can we tailor our answers to your needs and interests or experience level or location.

You're not Alexander Hamilton debating the merits of ratifying the U.S. Constitution here -- this is supposed to be a gathering place for filmmakers, an internet "pub". If you walked into a pub to meet some other filmmakers, would you wear a black hood and use a pseudonym? And if you did, would it come off as being unfriendly?

At other places the like CML, you MUST sign your posts. And they have good reasons to. In almost all forums where anonymous posts are commonplace, the majority of problematic posters are the anonymous ones.

Why should you be the exception here? Just because you're better-behaved? Can you imagine what a lousy place this would be to hang out if none of us used real names? Just a bunch of posts made by anonymous people? I regularly meet people on this forum at trade shows, on film sets, etc. which is only possible because we sign our names.

When Dominic Case makes a post, I know he's someone who works for a lab and has written an important book on post-production. So his answers in regards to post issues have more weight beyond simply "sounding" right because we know his credentials. If someone asks how Claudio Miranda shot something and Claudio Miranda actually answers, that also has more weight than if he replied anonymously and said something like "a friend told me that Claudio..." And it's a good thing when someone who works for a manufacturer like John Pytlak does for Kodak, properly identifies himself rather than act as some anonymous "mole" for the company.

Putting your real name after something you wrote, to me, sounds like you are sincere and will stand behind your words because your personal reputation is at stake. Someone who posts behind a pseudonym simply cannot be trusted to be sincere or honest, nor can I respect anything they write if they can't bring themselve to attach their name to it. And you constantly wonder what they have to be so afraid of, or what they are hiding, all unnecessary distractions.

Please sign your posts with your real name. Please.

Guest Kai.w
Putting your real name after something you wrote, to me, sounds like you are sincere and will stand behind your words because your personal reputation is at stake.  Someone who posts behind a pseudonym simply cannot be trusted to be sincere or honest, nor can I respect anything they write if they can't bring themselve to attach their name to it.  And you constantly wonder what they have to be so afraid of, or what they are hiding, all unnecessary distractions.

Please sign your posts with your real name. Please.

Honestly and with all respect: I really don't like this argument because in the end it comes down to saying that all people that insist on their privacy have something to hide! And this as untrue as anything. I don't want to go this route cause privacy does not need any justification. Its a value of its own.

I am on various forums and I can't really make out a difference between the general behaviour or misbehaviour on anonymous ones or on those where people post with their names. I guess we know a few examples of misbehaviour by "real people" even from here.

Granted this is your place and you make the rules. So if you decide to ban anonymous users then it is like that.

-k