SR3 Mag not fully closed

Randy J Tomlinson

So, we went to shoot on my SR3 yesterday and the last Scene Locations where inside a pretty dark Bar / Restaurant.

We used Vision3 500T and had just an Kinofloh at about 30 to 50% dimmed (settings: warm) overhead a Person. Apperture was fully open.

So the Light was kinda Ambient warm. Not to Bright. (See attached Image, Cellphone Photo)

Unfortunately one Magazine was not 100% closed and there was a tiny Gap on the Takup Side. Maybe 1 to 1,5 mm (Fingernail thick), not much.

How much is the Change i had Straylight inside? It was not in bright Daylight... How much of Damage could have been done? It would devastate me because (shame on me) i loaded the Mags myself and can not blame someone else....

Randy

post-60872-0-26561300-1545054997_thumb.jpg

If you're lucky, you'll get away with just a little edge fogging. Sometimes this can be so mild that you can just zoom into the image a little to get rid of it. Other times, not so much. A lot will depend on where the camera was, and how much light was hitting the mag. Always double check the latches on the magazine to make sure they are closed properly. ACs often run a strip of camera tape over the join as well for extra protection.

• Upvote 1

If you're lucky, you'll get away with just a little edge fogging. Sometimes this can be so mild that you can just zoom into the image a little to get rid of it. Other times, not so much. A lot will depend on where the camera was, and how much light was hitting the mag. Always double check the latches on the magazine to make sure they are closed properly. ACs often run a strip of camera tape over the join as well for extra protection.

The camera was most of the time in a dark spot, rolling towards the ambient light on a dolly. The magazine door did not flip open as it was taped "Loaded 500T". I just found out when i removed the mag from the camera.

i guess i can only wait and see what happens when the film returns from the lab.

Thanks

When I was a loader, I remember that it was sometimes possible to close the latch on an SR mag with the door not properly shut. Whether this was due to wear and tear on individual magazines, or a design fault, I don't know, but it happened often enough to be something I checked for every time I loaded a mag.

• Premium Member

When I was a loader, I remember that it was sometimes possible to close the latch on an SR mag with the door not properly shut. Whether this was due to wear and tear on individual magazines, or a design fault, I don't know, but it happened often enough to be something I checked for every time I loaded a mag.

Yep, but the door would still flop around in the changing bag.

Yep, but the door would still flop around in the changing bag.

No, that wasn't the case. The latch would turn, with the mag door apparently closed, but actually very slightly open, just as Randy had happen to him. The door would seem secure, but if you pulled at it, it would spring open. I always assumed it was due to wear and tear on the lock. All SR mags are showing their age these days, even the best maintained, so it's an issue that's likely to crop up.

• Premium Member

The door locks shut with two prongs that slide under a pair of latches, once the locking lever clicks home the door is either locked or open. The only way for the door to seem latched is if the door is misaligned and jamming against the mag housing. The door should shut without scraping. You can adjust the door position with the two set screws in the hinge (for height) or by shimming under where the hinge is screwed to the door (for twist). Sometimes a door might be drooping because it's loose at the hinge and the set screws need to be tightened. (You need to remove the outer locking set screw and protective little cover to access the hinge set screw underneath.)

If the door doesn't latch closed easily it's possible that the prongs or latches are bent from the door having been closed hard while the prongs were extended (ie in locked position). Check that they are not bent (sometimes you can bend the prongs back but bent latches need to be replaced.)

Photo of the two latches:

post-46614-0-13524700-1545091858_thumb.jpg

Fingers crossed the film comes out alright.. (I think you'll be OK).

This is NOT the Mag which was involved but i will show what happened:

This is the Mag Closed (propperly)

mag_closed.jpg

And this is how it was in my Case:

mag_open.jpg

After i loaded (yes it was ME) i put a tape around it, still in the changing bag. This caused the door NOT to flip open and this have lead me into thinking its closed. I still think it was a stupid mistake i did. Because it was a medium bug production (see my entry at Today's Office)

EDIT: the gap here in this picture seems wider than the one i had on the set. If it was like this, i probably would have seen it. And everyone was in hurry....

Edited by Randy J Tomlinson