Might we organize a workshop in L.A.?

• Premium Member

I don't know if this idea has merit -- for example, there may already be a glut of workshops in L.A., but I'm wondering if one or more of the experienced pros who frequent cinematography.com might consider organizing a 1 or 2 day camera/production/lighting workshop which some of "the rest of us" would pay for & attend?

I'd also be willing to donate some equipment if it would be helpful or reduce overhead costs. If it were appropriate I'd bring my new DSR-450WSL DVCAM camcorder (it features 24p & 24pA, three 16:9 2/3" CCDs, SDI out, film gamma, slow shutter, color matrix, and so forth).

I'm guessing (?) Mr. Mullen's plate might be quite full this August, especially if his new project begins. But perhaps some of the other pro members might be available for something like this?

As I said, I don't know if this is a dumb idea or not, but I'd personally be very willing to drive down to L.A. or elswhere (I'm in northern CA) and put myself up in a motel for a couple of days for something like this. Especially if the workshop focussed on hands-on "practical" production techniques.

Comments welcome,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

Edited by Peter DeCrescenzo

• Premium Member
Good Idea, but it probly wont happen... People on this forum are from all over the world, its just not practical.

There's no reason (for example) why greater Chicago cinematography.com members couldn't organize a similar workshop. I believe you're located about 200 miles from Chicago, so perhaps you might attend one there? I'm just inviting folks to brainstorm on the topic at this point.

Likewise, people in other parts of the country & world could organize their own workshops under a cinematography.com "banner", so to speak.

Could be as informal as a "pot luck supper" or much, much more formal. As another example, lunch & dinner "hosted" by some of the more experienced folks here -- with a mini workshop inbetween -- would be extremely helpful, in terms of learning & community-building.

Further comments welcome.

- P.D.

"Good Idea, but it probly wont happen... People on this forum are from all over the world, its just not practical. "

That's right Landon so let's have it at your house.

You can impart your "vision" to us.

Hey, maybe we can all attend your wedding at the same time? Gifts might include some Mini DV tape stock, a tripod, filters, etc etc.

I'm sure your new bride will be thrilled with the presents.

We'll even fly over Daniel and Phil from the UK.

R,

• Premium Member
That's right Landon so let's have it at your house. You can impart your "vision" to us. ...

Well, that went downhill rather fast. But funny, in a crabby sort of way. :lol:

Any other comments?

- P.D.

• Premium Member

Sure, it's not a bad idea for those in a major production city (L.A., NYC, London, etc.) where some sort of coordination with a rental house or lab is possible, but the problem really is that we have such diverse interests in this group. I mean, I could do a demo on HD at some rental house that likes me, but how many of you are interested in HD? And I doubt I could do much in depth without taking a lot of time to prepare.

Why not something easier at first, like a get together for the LA folk at the LA County Museum of Art or the Getty Center? We could look at some art and talk about whether there is anything to be applied to cinematography. And eat lunch.

Although I won't be free until November probably.

Ah sorry Peter not trying to make too much fun of your idea. I would come if I could, well I guess I could, it's just a question of if I want to fly down to LA for that.

I think a better idea would be for 15-20 of us to move in with David Mullen for a few weeks, and just sort of hang out with him.

I call the couch!!

R,

• Premium Member
Sure, it's not a bad idea for those in a major production city (L.A., NYC, London, etc.) where some sort of coordination with a rental house or lab is possible, but the problem really is that we have such diverse interests in this group.  I mean, I could do a demo on HD at some rental house that likes me, but how many of you are interested in HD? And I doubt I could do much in depth without taking a lot of time to prepare. ...

Thanks for your reply, David.

Another brainstorming suggestion: If a workshop's emphasis were on lighting or "seeing" then perhaps issues of format (film/video, HD/SD) might be less significant?

... Why not something easier at first, like a get together for the LA folk at the LA County Museum of Art or the Getty Center?  We could look at some art and talk about whether there is anything to be applied to cinematography. And eat lunch. Although I won't be free until November probably.

Yes, your idea is about "seeing" -- and eating lunch; a good combination!

OK, that's one "workshop": L.A. museum & lunch with Mr. Mullen in Nov./Dec. I'm in. :)

Additional ideas, cities, and "topics" anyone?

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

Thanks for your reply, David.

Another brainstorming suggestion: If a workshop's emphasis were on lighting or "seeing" then perhaps issues of format (film/video, HD/SD) might be less significant?

Yes, your idea is about "seeing" -- and eating lunch; a good combination!

OK, that's one "workshop": L.A. museum & lunch with Mr. Mullen in Nov./Dec. I'm in.  :)

Additional ideas, cities, and "topics" anyone?

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

I think it's a pretty good idea Peter. I would be willing to drive to Socal (I'm in Central California myself). One way to do it perhaps, would be to ask members on this forum what their main topics would be (I know there would be many, but try to narrow them down), and cover those on the workshop, videotape the workshop and post the video here.

Just my 2 cents.

That's right Landon so let's have it at your house.

Ok, I'm up for that... se ya guys soon.

You can impart your "vision" to us.

Sure, I'm sure you could all learn something, ha ha ha(j/k)

Hey, maybe we can all attend your wedding at the same time? Gifts might include some Mini DV tape stock, a tripod, filters, etc etc.

Ok, See ya in April then...

I'm sure your new bride will be thrilled with the presents.

Nahhh, I think you had better bring her some gothic cloths and a dog collar. I dont think a latest set of MiniDV tape is a good idea, at least not for her (now I'll take it, dont get me wrong)

We'll even fly over Daniel and Phil from the UK.

Hell, if you guys have this at my house I will fly daniel and Phil from the UK.

Ok, now lets get real:

There's no reason (for example) why greater Chicago cinematography.com members couldn't organize a similar workshop. I believe you're located about 200 miles from Chicago, so perhaps you might attend one there? I'm just inviting folks to brainstorm on the topic at this point.

Well, The only reason I would attend something of this sort would be for educational purposes. If David was to be there, yeah I'd come. But if your gonna set up local "Chapter" of the get-togehter, David cant be at all of them.

I think if it where to happen, it should be a single national event.

PS) I think it would be cool to meet all of you, and I' bet your just dying to meet me (or beat me up, take your pick).

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member

Seattle's a nice town -- maybe we should all convene at Tim Tyler's house and crash on his sofa.

Honestly, it's easier if you keep these get togethers simple and not get too ambitious. My suggestion is if we manage to arrange something, like in November in L.A., we try and have a nearly simultaneous gathering maybe in Chicago, NYC, and London for starters, but nothing elaborate. Stroll through an art exhibit or see a special movie screening and then have a meal or drink afterwards.

I'm down for a lighting workshop in LA. I'm willing to offer up my modest 1/2 ton G&E package for a weekend.

Just an idea Peter, but I've been trying to set aside some time to do some pretty extensive lighting tests involving all different types of diffusion, gels, filters and instruments.

The thought was to sit a model down under a pretty basic lighting set-up, and then shoot digital stills, going through a bunch of different diffusion on the key, then going through some gels, and then maybe even switching out the key light with different instruments. I wanted to do this myself, just so I could see the difference between all these lighting controls and modifiers in a single controlled set-up.

We did a lot of this kind of stuff in my cinematography classes, and it was really helpful, especially seeing the differences between different types of diffusion filters and strengths.

If we did manage to pull something like this off, I'm sure we could post the stills here so that everyone could learn from them.

Of course, the idea of spending a weekend doing basic camera/lighting tests would probably bore most of the seasoned pro's around here. I like Mr. Mullen's museum field trip idea, as well.

• Premium Member

Tests are important but they can get dull quickly.

My suggestion would be to take a few HMI's, etc. and do some day interior shots of the same angle that progress through midday, sunset, twilight, and night with lamps on and then moonlit only.

...maybe we should all convene at Tim Tyler's house and crash on his sofa.

Might be hard to have fun with a 6 year old, a 4 year old and a 5 month old running around. :) I could arrange it at SeattleGrip.com or Marty Oppenheimer's place though.

I've thought about creating some kind of cinematography.com branded camera workshop since the beginning of the year. Haven't given it a whole lot of thought though. I was thinking along the lines of a five day class, including a featured day or two with an industry pro at the helm.

Not sure if it would be better to locate something like that in LA/NY or in a smaller more relaxing town with lower overhead (like the Rockport approach).

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Unfortunatelly anything going on in America is bit out of my reach but if theres anything going on in London I'm definatelly up for it. Love to meet some people from this board. (London to Chicago costs about £400, roughly $700.. :huh: )

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member
... Honestly, it's easier if you keep these get togethers simple and not get too ambitious. ... Stroll through an art exhibit or see a special movie screening and then have a meal or drink afterwards. ... My suggestion would be to take a few HMI's, etc. and do some day interior shots of the same angle that progress through midday, sunset, twilight, and night with lamps on and then moonlit only.

Good ideas from everyone; keep them coming.

My instinct is that David's suggestions have the advantage of requiring relatively less commitment of time, effort & money.

Speaking just for myself, the idea of attending a week-long workshop is daunting in terms of potential lost work opportunities and/or cost. Whereas 1 or 2 days seems doable. But that's just me; how do others feel about this?

David's suggestion for a lighting-focussed workshop is especially attactive to me; it's exactly the kind of thing I'm interested in.

However, it might be more effective if it were preceeded by the kind of seeing/talking exercise he mentions: On Day 1, see & discuss/debate an art exhibit or film (and eat & drink). Then on Day 2, after everyone's had time to digest the previous day's info, food & spirits, do a practical hands-on exercise such as a simulated "24 hour" lighting set-up, followed by a closing discussion/meal.

I also think the idea of recording the proceedings on videotape for web distribution is excellent. Although, to avoid big committments of time, effort & cost, this "making of" video might be produced as simply as possible.

Just my $0.02 USD.

Let's keep brainstorming ...

- P.D.

• Premium Member

Hey, I'd be in. It's a little pricey from Calgary to LA but I'd love to spend some time with you guys. Who knows, my company (the miracle channel) might even send me. I think that I could talk them into it. A two day thing would be about perfect. Watch a special screening, talk about it, do a couple simple lighting setups, eat a meal, go to an art gallery. Good times.

• 1 month later...

This was kicked around back in July, and Mr. Mullen mentioned that he wouldn't have free time until November, I guess after Astronaut Farmer wraps, but I figured I would start the thread going again.

I'm of the opinion that a simple thing, like picking a saturday to meet at a Gallery or see something at the Egyptian of relevance to cinematography, then having a bite to eat or a beer afterwards would be the best thing to do.

Anybody have any suggestions for things in November they'd like go to, either screenings, art gallery shows, pretty much anything?

chuck haine

• Premium Member
This was kicked around back in July, and Mr. Mullen mentioned that he wouldn't have free time until November, I guess after Astronaut Farmer wraps, but I figured I would start the thread going again.

I like the idea. My sister-in-law is the catering manager at the Portofino in Redondo Beach. I'm sure she could come up with a room rate and space for a lighting seminar. Plus.. it's.. at the beach. It CAN be tough to get down there from Hollywood, though. But, if you're flying Jet Blue into Long Beach... There's also The Inn at Playa Del Ray which is easier to get to (and she may still be able to get a rate) or some flea-bag like El Patio in Studio City which always has a rate (even by the hour!)

I think it would be great to do a scene lighting thing with an F900, a smoke machine and a video projector or big monitor. Then do a screening somewhere "Mystery Science Theater 3000" style and go out for beers after.

If it's November, I'm in.

• Premium Member

Get-togethers are fine, and I'm all for them. I've had fun at the ones I've attended over the past few years.

But I do think there's merit to the "workshop" idea, something simple, quick and focused.

Limit it to one day, so no single entity has to give up too much time (attendees, lecturers, and vendors).

We'll take suggestions and vote here on a topic. Lighting here seems to be the thing most people are interested in seeing, but we can continue to discuss it. Maybe with suggestions we can devise a curriculum for the day, such as "how do I make sure my closeups look good and still match the wide shot?" or whatever. Since this whole idea is user-driven, let's let the prospective students design the course! Then we'll see if we can put together a workshop that addresses that topic.

If we're specific about what we want to do, then it will be easier to get the support of vendors, rental houses, and locations for that one day. We've already had offers for camera and lighting packages.

I'd happy to help out in any way I can.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Hi everyone, especially David Mullen.

I'm just refreshing this thread to see if there's still interest in holding a lighting "workshop" in Los Angeles, CA?

David has said he _might_ be available sometime this month or next.

Possible dates: A Saturday or Sunday on the weekends of November 19, or December 3, 10 or 17?

Obviously the weekend of 11/19 is very short notice.

What say ya'll?

- Peter DeCrescenzo

SF Bay Area, CA

Edited by Peter DeCrescenzo

• Premium Member
Hi everyone, especially David Mullen.

I'm just refreshing this thread to see if there's still interest in holding a lighting "workshop" in Los Angeles, CA?

David has said he _might_ be available sometime this month or next.

Possible dates: A Saturday or Sunday on the weekends of November 19, or December 3, 10 or 17?

Obviously the weekend of 11/19 is very short notice.

What say ya'll?

- Peter DeCrescenzo

SF Bay Area, CA

I have to be out there for a couple weeks in the near future. I'd be in on it.