No monitor on film camera 'steadicam' hack ideas....

Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

OK so I want to shoot a tracking shot of a runner with my Aaton 16mm on a ProAim (Belgium made) Flycam Redking steadicam which I've just bought for a great price (mint condition at 150 euros placed on my door) via Wallopop from Spain.....

....my Aaton weighs 13 lbs for this shot (Aaton XTR XC + Leica Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8 + battery)....so the problem is the following....I dot have a monitor.......

I'm not worried about focus as I will work at f8 / f11 and keep in the depth of field zone by operating parallel......BUT......I want to know i am framing the runner in the middle of the frame and don't cut off the head etc......so......I'm thinking of a couple of stupid ideas as a solution........

1. attaching a GoPro to show me that my subject is in frame or 2. (this gets better!!!) attaching a laser pointer (one that can be seen in bright light) and trying to keep the dot on the runner and then getting rid of it in post hahahahaha yes, a ludicrous idea but what the hell.....this is 'no budget'

so...any other solutions that may be more....elegant?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, aapo lettinen said:

If your aaton does not have video tap, you can use a small cctv camera on the viewfinder to get some kind of preview image to work with. Then use the brighest monitor you can find. No matter how old or bad quality it is

send me links to what you mean? I cant visualise this Aapo......its just to know I have the person in the frame!

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

I dont have images available but basically you just fit a cctv camera over the eyepiece with some kind of tube which keeps it in place and does not let any light in. You need to test the cctv to find a lens which works the best with your eyepiece so that you can see the whole viewfinder image nicely. The viewfinder optics focus the image close to infinity so you can use normal cctv lens. No macro needed

• Premium Member

They actually make a viewfinder eyepiece that is designed to hook something onto it. I have one of them and it looks like a regular eyepiece, but it has a threaded ring on it. One could use that to hook a camera onto it, if you could build/find a receipticle. 

I've shot steadicam without a monitor before, it sucks. The rangefinder idea (with a go pro) is pretty good, but getting the right framing will be tricky. If I was in a pinch, it's probably what I'd do as well. 

• Upvote 1

I pulled off something very similar a number of years ago - I rigged a small crappy digital camera with a "viewfinder screen" on the back to the top of a camera and then used the zoom function to best approximate what i was seeing in the view finder as a test/set-up to help guide framing. It worked out well enough. 

• Upvote 1