4008ZMII Questions

Mark Sperry

I purchsed a 4008ZMII with an eneloop based battery replacement.  I bought it from a European seller who says that the manual indicates a mode or switch I have to engage for the camera to charge the battery.  It came with the 'headphones' style jack that goes into the camera in the back like the original.  Is that true?  Is there a switch I engage to divert power to the batteries?

Also, is there an easy way to dust off the ground glass.  Mine definitely has some hair and spots on it.

• Premium Member

Have you read the manual? There are several free ones online. Go to the "Use of the accessories" section and read the "Battery charger for use on the wall-socket mains (AC)" instructions. 

Accessing the ground glass is tricky, but if you remove the mount you can see more of it and use a blower or what I have sometimes done is use a small blob of non-staining blue (or white) -tac on the end of a toothpick and gently dab the dust off. 

8 hours ago, Mark Sperry said:

I purchsed a 4008ZMII with an eneloop based battery replacement.  I bought it from a European seller who says that the manual indicates a mode or switch I have to engage for the camera to charge the battery.  It came with the 'headphones' style jack that goes into the camera in the back like the original.  Is that true?  Is there a switch I engage to divert power to the batteries?

Also, is there an easy way to dust off the ground glass.  Mine definitely has some hair and spots on it.

On a standard camera there is no switch. These extreme batteries are best charged outside camera.

It is meaningless to have such big batteries. The standard 300mAh can do some 10-15 films. Possibly more according to the original instructions.   Who exposes more than five films in a day?

Didn't the seller supply instructions?

• Like 1

I have the original instructions.  The battery isn't that crazy, just a little hump that goes in the original battery port that converts it to modern lithium ion cells.  Pretty cool IMO! 

Another question, in automatic mode should the aperture ring physically move on it's own?

Regarding the auto exposure, yes, in Auto Mode, the aperture ring will move via the iris drive motor relative to the exposure meter's input to that drive motor.  Sadly, the power zoom is linked to this setting also, so when setting the camera to Manual, you don't have power zoom.  This can be doctored by a competent technician since it only requires soldering a feeder wire from one terminal to feed the power zoom drive when set in Manual mode.  The Manual Zoom still has the zoom drive motor gearing drag on it....so if you zoom manually very slowly, it will be smooth, otherwise it won't be.  That is why many BEAULIEU owners have removed the entire Reglomatic unit.  Although, I have found that it's quite useful to have the variable speed power zoom, yet be able to use manual exposure.  BEAULIEU for whatever reason uncoupled the power zoom when in Manual mode.  This slight change really makes the camera much more fun to use.  Another option is to just disconnect the Reglomatic iris drive power and then you can still see the exposure setting via the large needle in the viewfinder, yet have power zoom as well.  I know there are times Auto exposure is convenient, so the minor operation to keep the zoom system powered is the better one.

As for charging the Eneloop batteries, plenty has been stated already.  The original BEAULIEU charging system was designed to charge the original Nicad battery packs.  Although, it would take longer, it should be possible to charge them up with the original chargers since the batteries own 'memory' will bring them to the correct voltage when full. I would check with the seller of those replacement batteries first though.  To charge via the camera's rear charging port (upper port) have the hand grip switch in either Position A (as it normally is when released) or Position B (with the switch pulled out just enough to depress the Safety Button, which is designed to prevent powering the camera when carrying it).....thus....the Power Switch is in the OFF position in either setting.  DO NOT USE the fully pulled out setting as that is the constant power ON position (this is Position C according to the Instruction Manual and a small Red Dot will show if pulled out too far. 

Lastly, IF you don't have the owner's manual, I highly suggest getting one.  Read carefully, it is a translation from the original French, and can be difficult to understand in some functions, although most all information necessary is in there.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I suggest picking up some new batteries from Björn Andersson in Sweden. He's making some great new ones that look great, last forever and charge with the original charger easily all for a very reasonable price. While you're at it, he's probably the best Beaulieu technician left on the planet and can get your camera looking and working better than new with original parts.

I believe this will contact him:

info@beaulieu-service.com

Or try Facebook at:

https://www.facebook.com/bjorn.andersson.3158

• Like 2

All great info in the last two posts!  Thank you for that.  

I've been shooting with the camera.  It's all working well now including the auto aperture movement.  The only thing that is wrong is that the aperture wants to over expose by 1 stop.  The needle indicates over exposure so the meter is not the problem.  I confirmed the needle is correct via a spot meter on a grey target.  And I can manually adjust to the correct exposure.  

So far I just have been setting the ISO 1 stop down, but I've also been in contact with the seller who have sent me a few DIY repair techniques, and have offered to take the camera back for adjustment at no cost.  But overall, I'm not sure it's such a big issue.  

Now focusing the camera on the ground glass, yowzers that is hard haha.

Edited by Mark Sperry

• Premium Member

My 4008 ZMII was the black 4008ZMII that shoots 80 fps and came with amazing Angenieux 1,2/6-80. It was only produced in a very limited number in 1975 and is sometimes called the "10 year jubilee model" or "anniversary" model.

If I shoot at 80 fps it sounds like a very angry swarm of bees next to your head. The quality is amazing though...like 16mm was in the 70's. When I also shoot my cheap Super 8 cameras because they are easier to shoot, the difference is instantly noticeable in the final product..

• Premium Member
On 2/27/2020 at 11:59 PM, Mark Sperry said:

My understanding is the camera from the supplier are serviced and are supplied with a recelled battery? Has the internal filter been removed?, if so bet your back focus will be out too. A serviced camera should have a clean viewfinder. Return the camera to the supplier for cleaning.

Edited by andy oliver
Spelling

On 2/28/2020 at 12:59 AM, Mark Sperry said:

When you take off the lens the ground can been seen sitting to right. When it is swung in.

You could attempt to brush or blow. Don't push too hard and don't overdo as the blowing may displace the dust further on.