What do you guys listen to?

Annie Wengenroth

• Premium Member

I'm a bit of a nerd...

I mostly listen to symphonic soundtrack scores, some classical music. I also listen to old 30's & 40's stuff, big band & broadway stuff. I bring my wife along to Tower Records when I buy CD's of Judy Garland or someone singing Gershwin, etc. so the clerk doesn't think I'm gay.

Last CD purchases were a rare pressing of "The Shining" soundtrack, YoYo Ma playing Ennio Morricone themes, and a compilation of 30's/40's showtunes from old film soundtracks.

I mostly listen to alt rock (Midnight Oil, U2, The Ocean Blue etc.) and punk (Sex Pistols, Rancid, Bad Religion). I'm also fortunate enough to live near a city (Dallas) that has produced some great rock bands like Tripping Daisy/The Polyphonic Spree and Toadies/Burden Brothers. I'm a huge Buddy Holly fan, he's a fellow Texan after all. I love to play his tunes on my '73 Fender acoustic. (BTW check out "The Buddy Holly Story" with Gary Busey, although not exactly accurate it features some good cinematography along with an amazing backwards, down several flights of stairs, stedi-cam move by Garret Brown.)

I love movie musicals. I think they're amazing and I would love to shoot one someday. The Music Man, Meet me in St. Louis, Jesus Christ Super Star, Hair, all of those musicals are awesome.

I also like classical and opera music, espescially Russian composers. Borodin is amazing.

Guest Charlie Seper

Pretty much anything but the stuff you listed Annie. :rolleyes:

I like anything done well. You know, real musicians playing real instruments to the best of their ability, and a few good vocal tunes now and then. The Dixie Dregs, Alan Holdsworth, Jeff Beck, Phil Keaggy, Pat Metheny, The Quintet of the Hot Club of France, Robin Ford, Bill Buford, Bruce Cockburn, Chris Smither, Bob Bennett, Doyle Dykes, Randy Newman, Manuel Barrueco, Anthony Phillips, Leo Kottke, Ralph Vaughn Williams, George Butterworth (I've always been a sucker for English pastoral music), Chick Corea, Wes Montgomery... you know, anything good. Basically anything made before 1985 has got a better shot with me.

Edited by Charlie Seper

• Premium Member

Led Zeppelin are house Gods - that's my number one band. I used to listen to a lot of Stones - the new album is great - so I'm probably going into that again. I enjoy crooners like Sinatra, Charles Aznavour and Matt Monro sometimes. The Police were good. Moloko, brit electronica group, are exellent. And so on.

And just like David I listen a lot to film scores. Favorite composers are Wojciech Kilar (I recommend Dracula and The Ninth Gate), Jerry Goldsmith. Zimmer can be brilliant sometimes, his partner Harry Gregson-Williams can also be good. Didn't like Howard Shore that much, but LOTR soundtrack changed my mind (I still think Wojchiech Kilar, who was originally commissioned, would have done a wonderful job). Danny Elfman has some funny stuff under his belt. Brit composer John Powell is good (his theme for Face/Off is still one of my fav's). Elia Cmiral's theme for Ronin is one of the best ever written. But if I had to choose one theme to rule them all, no it's not Star Wars, it's Anvil of Crom (main theme) from Conan the Barbarian by Basil Poledouris - that score has been copied so many times it's not even funny (Terminator, T2, Gladiator, Total Recall etc). What a classic.

Nothing on set, cuz I'm almost always doing sync sound, and nothing during post unless it's graphics or animation, because I gotta be able to hear what I'm doing.

But personally, I'm a prog guy. Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Bela Fleck, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, etc. When they start getting too theatrical with the medieval vocal stuff, though, I tune out. I also like Tori Amos, Ben Folds, Flaming Lips, Radiohead, Gov't Mule, etc. Well-crafted music that isn't just pop pandering. Strangely, I also play in an 80s cover band (among other things), so I end up listening to way too much of that stuff, too. I don't really like the idea of "background music," it's gotta be upfront and the focal point if I'm gonna turn it on.

• Premium Member
I'm just curious. What does everyone listen to, whether on or off set?

I listen to many different types of music but am a BIG industrial, electronic, (trip-hop, dnb, goa, idm) and experimental music fan. I'm also a DJ so I pretty much am always listening to something.

There are things I'll ALWAYS listen to like Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, the Who and the Beatles. Then I go in phases of listening to Emmy Lou Harris (Wrecking Ball is fabulous), Sinead O'Connor (although she has cracked into the ALWAYS list), old stuff like Tommy James, Neil Young, newer stuff like Radiohead, Moby, Coldplay? Yes, Coldplay. Then there's U2 ((although the newer U2 is mostly crap), Bruce Springsteen (who's STILL writing good stuff), etc. Lot's of Irish music.

Plus I love the original Cowsills recordings of "Hair". So I, too, like a good show tune.

• Premium Member

How could I not chime in on this one?

I grew up with members of Dream Theater so my tastes have always leaned toward progressive rock including solo recordings of DT by Kevin Moore/Chroma Key, James LaBrie, Derrick Sherinian and John Petrucci. Then there's Yes, LTE, Nightwish (especially the recording with the London Symphony Orchestra), Queensryche and Radiohead.

In Guitarlandia Al Demeola has always been a fav, Derek Trucks, Frank Zappa, Gary Hoey, George Lynch, Jens Kokholm, Joe Satriani, Carlos Santana, Steve Morse, Steve Vai, SRV, Trevor Rabin, Eric Johnson, EVH, Robin Trower, Yngwie J. Malmsteen, Randy Rhoads...

One of my all time favorite discoveries thanks to Amoeba records is Femi Kuti and of course his father Fela Kuti. I love those African rythms.

Electronic synth based music I've recently started exploring: Air, Jon Brion, Moby, Zero7

Re- soundtracks of course there's Ennio Morricone, Geinoh Yamashiro, Henry Mancini, Jeff Goldsmith (love "Basic Instinct"), John Williams, whatever happenned to Tangerine Dream? Vince Guaraldi...

Crooners of all varieties, male and female: Tonny Bennett, Dean Martin (Deano), Frank Sinatra (Old Blue Eyes, The Chairman of the Board), Elvis (The King), Harry Chapin, Johnny Cash, Julie London, Astrud Gilberto, Bebel Gilberto, June Hutton, Keely Smith, Lena Horne, Louis Prima, Luciano Pavarotti (I know, not really a crooner but for the sake of this list), Mel Torme (the Velvet Fog), Nancy Sinatra, Natalie Merchant, Nick Drake, Rosemary Clooney, Shakira, Van Morrison, Willaim Bell (so smooth), William Shatner (check out "Has Been").

Horns: Earth, Wind and Fire hands down. Also Herb Alpert and the Tijuanna Brass, Stan Getz...

Classic rock: Procul Harem, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Rainbow, Rush, Van Halen, Steely Dan, Whitesnake, The Who, The Eagles...

Classic Pop: Genesis, The Beatles, Journey, Madonna, Paul McCartney and Wings, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, The Police, Stevie Wonder, Sting, David Bowie, U2...

Avant-Garde: Gyorgi Ligetti, Phil Glass, Pink Floyd, Steve Reich

Other: Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings" (performed at two presidential funerals)

There is so much more.

Current fav's i listen to constantly for insipration...

Soundtracks:

Fantasia

LotR - FoTR

Nightmare Before Christmas

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkeban

Classical:

Mozart's Requiem Mass (Spanish Symphony - Apex Label - BEST VERSION EVER!!)

Beethoven's 5,6,9th

Paganini 24 Caprices Op.1

Anything w/ Yo Yo Ma

Chopin's Nocturnes

Progressive:

~STEVE VAI~

Eric Johnson

Alan Holdsworth

Jimi Hendrix

Jason Becker

Planet X (w/MacAlpine & Donatti)

Rock/Metal:

Led Zeppelin

Black Sabbath

Marylin Manson

Pink Floyd

Yes

Emerson Lake & Palmer

the Doors

Punk/Oi:

The AntiHeroes

Sex Pistols

The Clash

I'm thinkin about venturing into jazz, blues and techno one of these days...

I listen to many different types of music but am a BIG industrial, electronic, (trip-hop, dnb, goa, idm) and experimental music fan. I'm also a DJ so I pretty much am always listening to something.

A great film score is always welcome? but I mostly listen to rock, classic rock and Celtic music. Oh how I love it!

Some of my favorites are: creed (before alter bridge), iron and wine, lacuna coil, the beatles, Led zeppelin, AC/DC, Simon and Garfunkel, the vines, the white stripes? BUT NEVER ANY COUNTERY! :angry:

For someone who was born and raised in the Valley (save your pity), I'm mainly into music from the South. I love bluegrass, blues, jazz, and a lot of early country (Hank Williams, Jimmie Rodgers, the Carter Family). These artists, as well as Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan, are on my "Always" list. Lately, I've been listening a lot to Paul McCartney's solo albums (Ram is amazing) and also been getting into hip-hop (both of these at the same time, if you can believe that).

• Premium Member

Currently on my MP3 player:

Vivaldi - Concerto in E, Opus 18 #1 "Spring" performed by James Galway

Vangelis - Blade Runner OST "Main Titles"

Groove Armada - Vertigo #5 "If everybody looked the same"

Trout Fishing in America - "Dead Egyptian Blues"

Love Spit Love - "How Soon is Now"

Madonna - Immaculate #13 "Express Yoursel"

Toto - "Africa"

Toto - Dune OST

The Verve - "Bittersweet Symphony"

The Collectables - "The Levi Jive"

The Mamas and the Papas - "California Dreaming"

Talvin Singh - "Mumbai Theme"

Saving Private Ryan OST - "Hymn to the Fallen"

Journey - "Higher Place"

Barry Adamson - "Something wicked this way comes"

Boston - "I think I like it"

Joe Satriani - "Speed of Light"

Taku Iwasaki - Read or Die OST - "Opening"

Yoko Kanno - "Information High"

Jim White - "Still waters"

Lush - "Ladykillers"

Wipe Out in-game track 9

Difficult to summarise, in other words.

Phil

• Premium Member

On the iPod Mini currently, a bunch of pop music from 1964 because we were working on a period piece, Chiffons, Crystals, Sam Cooke, Chuck Berry, Trashmen, Drifters.

Regular playlists include Scott Joplin, Queen, Muppets (used to work for them :) ), Buckwheat Zydeco, Bob Marley, Neil Young, Nat King Cole, Jim Reeves, Chet Atkins, and Movie Soundtracks including Electric Horseman, Princess Bride, and O Brother Where Art Thou.

-Tim

Guest rndfilms

In recent rotation:

Fred Frith, Henry Threadgill, James Brown, Bootsy Collins, The Crack Emcee, Boards of Canada, Devo, Miles Davis, The Beach Boys, Can, Faust, Henry Cow, Battles, Robert Wyatt, Link Wray, Hank Williams Sr., Willie Nelson, Sibelius, Edgar Varese, Tchaikovsky, Iannis Xenakis, Stockhausen, Bill Laswell, Dead Kennedys, Dead Kenny Gs, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, David Banner, NWA, Lemon Jelly, etc, etc.

And of course, my own band, the Four Gone Conclusions!

-Steiny

S.F., CA, USA

Give me the Harry Pothead soundtrack and the Soundtrack from all 3 lord of rings movies and you have number.... As you may have guessed, I like really well done cinematic scores, although I also like music like Rap and Alternative. not a Heavy metal fan, and not much of a rock fan.

My Favorite Rapper is Eminem and my Favorite "Band" is Pink Floyd... My Favorite soundtrack is the lord of the rings score.

No Jazz, Blues or country... oh nooooo.... lol

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

MUSE, The Zutons, Kaiser Chiefs, Coldplay, Blink 182, Greenday, Good Charlotte, Athlete, Jet, Snow Patrol, Oasis, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I tend to respect rock bands more because they play their own instruments and write their own lyrics. Plus they aren't "manufactured".

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member

Mostly a radio listener while driving and at work. Usually tune to the local NPR classical music radio station and NPR news like "All things considered". Talk radio choices tend toward the progressive side, but do try to be aware of what the conservative "talking points" of the day are. Do like CW, Bluegrass, and folk.

I used to write short-stories when I lived in Brazil and music had a huge importance in the creation process. Actually it still does.

The bands that inspire me the most are:

- The Cure

- Radiohead

- Interpol

- Godspeed You Black Emperor

- A Silver Mt. Zion

- The Verve

- Sonic Youth

- Pixies

- Bjork

- M83

- Slowdive

I also love listening to classical music and a bit of jazz. My favorite composers are:

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Maurice Ravel

Krysztof Penderecki

Lately I've been listening to some pieces by Mark Snow (Millennium, X-Files), Thomas Newman, Mark Isham and Bill Brown.

• Premium Member

Hi,

My most surreal filmmaking experience yet concerns music. Was returning from Arri in Uxbridge to the central London shoot with s16 package, with the Austrian actress bombing across Clapham Common at approximately four hundred miles an hour listening to Country and Western music, at one in the morning.

Howdy, pardners.

Phil