Aaton LTR serviceability and general thoughts?

Raymond Zrike

1 hour ago, Aapo Lettinen said:

there has been talk of the difficult servicing of original Aaton electronics and in general it makes more sense to replace all electronics in a device with completely new ones if there is enough aging and malfunctioning involved. everything electrical breaks up eventually, it just takes longer if it has been well made back then instead of being general consumer junk like cheaper 8mm cameras might be.

So the idea is to replace EVERYTHING electrical including the motor drive itself. Makes no sense to save some part of the old system because it creates potential compatibility issues and that old original part would be the exact part breaking up next which is just asking for problems. Mechanics are too expensive to redesign and replace so camera mechanics need to be kept as is.

Of course one could buy a new LTR if the old one breaks but how long the new one might manage before generating issues too? and it would still have the old boring features (only one built-in crystal speed of either 24 or 25 , no display, etc)

Right I understand that perspective. But if AATON LTR is really that risky of a purchase I’d probably just settle for a Bolex or save up and get an Arri SR 

right now I think aaton cameras is the best for the money. 

But I think there has to be some Aaton users out there who trust their cameras or who have figured out how to fix problems. I try not to think as “worse case scenario”. 

On 2/9/2024 at 9:08 PM, Tyler Purcell said:

Usually that's the beginning of a bad board. Can you email me a video info@narrowgaugefilms.com

I sent a email with a link to the video.

Also, I think a bad battery could be the cause of the problem 

I tried using a new battery on it that I bought a few months back. It worked after charging so I figured it’s fine.

Now that same battery doesn’t work at all and it’s ice cold.

the other batteries I use actually hold a charge and  give power to the camera but with the issue it keeps running when switched off. But different batteries vary slightly. 

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Gerard Dalton said:

Right I understand that perspective. But if AATON LTR is really that risky of a purchase I’d probably just settle for a Bolex or save up and get an Arri SR 

right now I think aaton cameras is the best for the money. 

But I think there has to be some Aaton users out there who trust their cameras or who have figured out how to fix problems. I try not to think as “worse case scenario”. 

old SR electronics may break up too every now and then. I would probably get the SR3 because it is newer model so the electronics are not that old yet, just around 30 years or so and not 50 or 60 ?

Mechanically the old cameras tend to be fine if they have been taken care for in the past. Electronics are just, they never last forever and are not even meant to. Electronic components age and eventually fail no matter what you do... well made ones and well kept ones will last longer but not forever. Electronics are MEANT TO BE replaced in regular intervals, at least couple of dozen years or so but normally sooner. It is just the current situation of film cameras being low demand collectibles that has lead to people trying to struggle with aging antique electronics which can fail anytime. It is not about the quality or design of the original product, it is just that they were never meant to be used for that long in the first place and people just try to manage with them even a day longer just to save on the costs of replacing everything with something completely new which would on the other hand last 15 years without issues.

it is like never changing the oil in your car... you may be able to drive with it for very long time before it fails but eventually it WILL fail you and then you will finally have to get it serviced OR buy another car which still has original factory oil inside ?