Kinor 16CX-2M -acquiring hard to find lenses

Gareth Blackstock

The other day I finally received a nice 6mm lens for the Kinor from a seller in Ukraine.  Despite the country undergoing a war, the postal service is working fine.  I have found several sellers via the Lavky website, a well organised selling site, not auction.  The site is really interesting, and buying items is a good way of supporting people who are finding it hard to make a living at the moment.    Although some members may find the choice of camera hard to fathom, having been working on the Kinor, I really like the rugged "no thrills" aspect. 

Thankfully there are many really nice lenses to be found, however you have to be quick to buy them, many stills photographers have been falling in love with early Russian and East German lenses due to their bokeh, and current affordability of mount adaptors.  Sadly there are also some extremely expensive early Russian cameras that are no where near worth what they are asking... 

I was also lucky enough to secure a very nice condition wide angle attachment, see below, that is so heavy, with my current standard zoom, that a lens support was needed.  The lens support is a cheap one, however I am pretty happy with the quality.  

20220827_ v 100512.jpg

• Premium Member

those are nice lenses! I have the 10-100 with the wide angle attachment and PL adapter and it is a good lens. can be used with the Aaton LTR too though it is a really tight fit ?

if you ever happen to need a crystal modified spare motor, I have two spare motors which I can convert to crystal sync and sell. my own camera body has a broken motor locking bayonet which is why I will use another type of drive mechanism with it and could sell both of the original motors to fund my other camera modification projects and free some space ?

Hello,

I did read with much interest your post on the modified motor, very nice work.  I won't need crystal synch with the Kinor, I have a buggy CP-16 I am creating a power source for if I need to shoot with dialogue.... and also bills come first.... one of the reasons I like the old cameras is they are cheap to buy, mostly easy to repair, and lenses are affordable!

Cheers, Gareth

• Premium Member
On 9/8/2022 at 12:11 AM, Gareth Blackstock said:

Hello,

I did read with much interest your post on the modified motor, very nice work.  I won't need crystal synch with the Kinor, I have a buggy CP-16 I am creating a power source for if I need to shoot with dialogue.... and also bills come first.... one of the reasons I like the old cameras is they are cheap to buy, mostly easy to repair, and lenses are affordable!

Cheers, Gareth

glad to hear that the original motors work perfectly in your application! if you sometime happen to need extra mags I have some available, I only use 30m mags and could sell at least one 122m mag and at least two 30m mags ?

Your CP16 has fully working original electronics and only lacks a power source?  some people have made power adapters which fit in place of the original batteries and if one wants to use both the onboard battery AND external power source, one could use two schottky diodes (dual diode or two single ones) to automatically run the camera from highest voltage source (diodes drop the voltage about 0.45V), or one could just install a flip switch to select the power input (no voltage drop involved). One could use a readily available Chinese step down converter to lower the voltage of 24V - 30V battery to the 20 or 21V the camera needs. This way you could use almost any type of battery with it as a "block battery" and should not cost much ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Yeah, my CP is a project in waiting.... when I first got it I treated the circuitry with Inox protector to try and slow future oxidisation, and also wiping down the interior magnesium with Inox to try and prevent oxidisation buildup.  I have found on an auction site 20 volt rechargeable batteries for power tools, I suspect the amp might be too high.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/384820897329

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/224109974939

You can also get on the same site adaptors to take the battery and you can hard wire the adaptor into the camera, thereby just clicking the battery into place, just like a powertool attachment.  I am pretty keen to try it out... 

On 9/19/2022 at 11:55 PM, Gareth Blackstock said:

I suspect the amp might be too high.

That's just the battery capacity, quite a bit more than the original, and nothing to do with the output. The camera will just take whatever power it needs.

Back in the day there was no point having any more capacity, because nobody shot that much film.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member

yes the voltage has to be right but otherwise all batteries should work fine as long as they can supply the needed amperage for the motor. The CP16 motor is relatively small, I think it takes something between 0.5 and 2.5 amperes in normal operation (will need to re check this sometime later but I think it could be somewhere around one ampere when running if the camera is in good condition) and does not go very high even if stalling