some questions about the 16bl

Alex Haspel

can the 16bl converted to super16?

and

is it technically possible to bring the shutter and the transport out of sync?

(to get vertical lines from the highlight, like seen on some of "saving private ryan"'s battlescenes)

thanks in advence

can the 16bl converted to super16?

and

is it technically possible to bring the shutter and the transport out of sync?

(to get vertical lines from the highlight, like seen on some of "saving private ryan"'s battlescenes)

thanks in advence

---It's possible, but difficult and expensive. Newer lens won't have a lens blimp. The existing blimped zooms won't cover S16 at the wide end. You'd probably have to have a blimped 12-120 Ang. converted to a 15-150mm. More expense & it won't be quite as snappy or as fast as newer S16 zooms.

Nor will newer primes fit the prime lens blimp, if one could find that blimp.

Since the lens mount is imbedded in rubber, I'd be leary of using a zoom with out a blimp housing to support it. A support on a bridge plate and rods will probably work. But probably needs to be custom built.

You really need the lens blimp to keep the camera noise down.

Anyway aranafilm.com.au does 16BL S16 conversions.

It's been ages since I've handled a 16BL, I don't believe the movement pops out as easily as a 35mm mitchell type movement does. If it can be done, it would be a permenant feature.

---LV

Isn't the 16 bl equiped with the magnetic sound recording ? (I remember so) If so, you have to take off all this recording stuff as a first step...

Single system sound was an option on the 16BL when shooting news. The recording heads would be easily removed and any camera that was used for shooting only double system sound wouldn't have had the heads fitted in the first place.

You'd be better converting an old Aaton LTR or an Eclair to Super 16

• Premium Member

Right, thanks, Brian. I find in my old AC manual (25 years old, already !) that it's a plug-in accessory (you see also that the expression "plug-in "isn't that new...).

Anyways, I second also that's it's known that Aaton and Eclair are more commonly converted into S16 than any other camera.

Thing is, Alex, that if you want to have the job done, you'd better ask a technician who has done the job before, so that converting a camera that he has converted before is a safety...

Unless you find someone who has done this on a 16 BL before, or want to do it yourself.

You know that not only has the gate to be reshaped, but the mount has to be axed a bit aside, as the center for S16 is not where it is for 16 (you enlarge on a side more than on the other side), otherwise you'd have problems to zoom in and having the lens not centerd on the frame can create aberations and vignetting on a side more than on the other...

Thing is, Alex, that if you want to have the job done, you'd better ask a technician who has done the job before, so that converting a camera that he has converted before is a safety...

i definately would have asked an technician, but i didnt want to risk making a fool out of myself,

in case it's impossible or super-easy... so i prefered to ask here first.

protected by anonymity. more or less :-)

You know that not only has the gate to be reshaped, but the mount has to be axed a bit aside, as the center for S16 is not where it is for 16 (you enlarge on a side more than on the other side), otherwise you'd have problems to zoom in and having the lens not centerd on the frame can create aberations and vignetting on a side more than on the other...

that's what i feared.

but hope dies last..

at least i am now sure that it's not really an option

thanks for your answers.

Alex,

here are some words I received from Aranda films in Melbourne when i enquired about my 16BL conversion to S16... The cost quoted to me was $3100AUD for the job and it would involve enlarging the mirror, repositioning the mirror, providing a new ground glass, aligning the optical path, moving the entire camera within the blimp, spark eroding the gate....

"All of the BL owners/clients are delighted with their conversions as the 'old' camera is brought quickly up to modern specs. Standard 16 is no longer used commercially so you will need super 16 sometime. Sure you can still blow up from standard 16 but you will lose the advantage of a 20% bigger negative."

To me this shows they have done it before and that they know what they are doing. As soon as I save up for it I am having it done :)

Best of luck finding your solution

Alex,

here are some words I received from Aranda films in Melbourne when i enquired about my 16BL conversion to S16... The cost quoted to me was $3100AUD for the job and it would involve enlarging the mirror, repositioning the mirror, providing a new ground glass, aligning the optical path, moving the entire camera within the blimp, spark eroding the gate....

phew.. i might have save some money if i really decide to do a conversion,,,...

anyways..

how did you solve your speed control problem?