ISO documentation of the looks/colors of different older film sticks (Kodak, Fuji, Orwo)

Steve Cutler

Hi all,

Anyone know of a collection of a chart or collection of screenshots etc, comparing the qualities and colors of the older lines of these stocks?

I see quite a bit of freezer stock from the 80s and 90s and curious to know what these films look like/are designed to look like

cheers

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Steve Cutler said:

Hi all,

Anyone know of a collection of a chart or collection of screenshots etc, comparing the qualities and colors of the older lines of these stocks?

I see quite a bit of freezer stock from the 80s and 90s and curious to know what these films look like/are designed to look like

cheers

Sadly anything that's been in the freezer for more than a few years, will not look like it did when new. There is a distinct color shift when film gets old plus the fog layer, will make it be grainer as well. So seeing a reference makes little to no difference. 

So is this concept of 'freezer fresh' not really accurate then?

I've seen projects shot on old stock that turned out beautifully, like the videos linked below shot by Evan Prosovfsky both on what I believe was older Fuji stock nicknamed 'bubblegum'

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Steve Cutler said:

So is this concept of 'freezer fresh' not really accurate then?

I've seen projects shot on old stock that turned out beautifully, like the videos linked below shot by Evan Prosovfsky both on what I believe was older Fuji stock nicknamed 'bubblegum'

Fuji stopped making color negative in 2012. 

The Waterpark film was posted 10 years ago. So it was still new film. 

Not sure about Mobius. It says it was made in 2017, but IMDB says 16mm and it for sure looks like 4 perf 35mm. It does look like Fuji tho. 

I have quite a bit of experience trying to make frozen Fuji work... it's umm, not that much fun and not reliable. Some rolls are way wrong and others are ok but not anything I'd bother with unless you're after a particular look and don't mind things like the Rem Jet not coming off properly. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

This will help you to view online examples of the various older filmstocks. Go to www.vimeo.com Go to Watch>Channels.

Then type SHOT ON FILM in the search bar. Go to the left side of the screen and select 'CHANNELS'. It's the channel with 2200+ clips. Go to the First page (444). You will see footage from projects shot on FUJI Eterna, FUJI Super-F series, KODAK EXR, KODAK Vision 1 in various formats. Enjoy

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Steve Cutler said:

Interesting thanks for the tip. Do Kodak stocks age better in the freezer? Vision 1 and Vision 2?

Fuji has an issue with the Rem Jet and freezing. Even when thawed, for some weird reason, the Rem Jet just doesn't want to come off, so it gets speckled. Ya may not notice it on a higher Iso stock like some of the older Super F 400D/500D stocks, but for sure on the finer grain stocks like the 250D and 500T Eterna stocks, you'l absolutely see it. On 16mm it's worse for obvious reasons. 

I had a HUGE inventory of Fuji film, some previously frozen, some not and I tested quite a bit of it and the frozen stuff had the issue, where the non-frozen stuff had much worse fog, but Rem Jet seemed to be ok. 

Yes, the Kodak stock does seem to hold up better. It uses a very different Rem Jet which is easier to remove using what most labs use today. 

I don't believe any of the stocks hold up better fog layer wise, they all seem to fall apart no matter what.