CP-16 service

Mitch Gross

I was informed today that Whitehouse Audio Visual continues to offer parts and service for the Cinema Products CP-16 camera. I (and others) have been wrongly informed that Visual Products was the only place routinely offering support for this camera. I am not accusing Visual Products or anyone else for deceiving me or anyone else, and in fact I do not recall from where I heard this incorrect information. As far as I know they have had nothing to do with this other than offering great services for many years. I do wish to apologize to Ken at Whitehouse for repeating this story without confirming it myself first.

Again, CP-16 cameras can be services at both Whitehouse AV and Visual Products. Whitehouse also offers a host of other products and services and the company has a sterling reputation.

• Premium Member

I talked with Ken a few weeks ago and he has access to quite an inventory of parts for the CP-16 as well. Do not know if he does or does not do the Super 16 conversion, but he has quite a bit of experience with the cameras.

-Tim Carroll

Guest 3ldfilms

Ken does do the mod...he quoted me on it last month. Same price as Visual Products.... $2000 which includes a full overhaul.

• 5 months later...

YMMV, but I had a bad experience with Whitehouse (a bungled overhaul) shortly after Paul Hillman left. I have also had good experiences with Whitehouse, and actually stopped in and met both Derrick and Ken when I was in California a few years back. But my bad experience was never resolved to my satisfaction.

After that, I have used Paul at Visual Products exclusively, and I have been bowled over by his skill, honesty, and dedication to excellence. He did my S16 conversion and I have loved it.

M

I've never heard anyone say that Whitehouse didn't handle CP16 stuff, only that generally, Visual Products is seen by many (including myself) as being better for something, and more reasonable for most things.

I think that's why you always hear about them, specifically Paul Hillman, when people ask for recommendations for CP16 work.

MP

• Premium Member

Ken at Whitehouse was great about answering questions through e-mail and whatnot, but Paul Hillman stuck to his estimate even when he went several hours (and several hundred dollars over). For that I'll stick by Visual Products until the very end. Or at least until he leaves.

Yep, I've had the same experience.

Paul Hillman is like the good 'old workmen of yesteryear, dependable, does his job like an artist, keeps his word, and frequently goes beyond the call of duty.

Great guy. I'm totally happy with him and will continue to use him.

This is not to say anything negative about ken and/or Whitehouse, because I haven't used them for service. I've bought stuff from them though.

I think what got me to use Visual Products initially, was that they're so much more reasonably priced. the prices at Whitehouse make you wonder if they think every piece of gear they have is a rare collectible.

Nice guys though.

MP

• 2 weeks later...

Bernie O'Doherty at Super 16 Inc. services the CP-16 also. I'm not sure about S16 conversions though. I have nothing but positive things to say about Bernie, and recommend him without any reservations whatsoever. I've never worked with Whitehouse, but I know from experience that Visual Products is a great facility as well.

Here's a plug for Ken at Whitehouse. After a year of dithering I finally got up the nerve to crack open the case to my CP-16RP. What I found was the usual for an old camera that's spent a couple decades in storage: clutch belt mostly distintegrated, timing belt stretched and inelastic, clutch pads nonexistent. I called up Whitehouse AV and talked to Ken Hale, and we had a pleasant, enlightening discussion on the inner workings and foibles of Cinema Products cameras; belts, circuits, power supplies, batteries (Ken makes new batteries and chargers for CP-16's if anyone is interested).

I was stalled, thinking I couldn't ever get this machine going again because of the anticipated $2000 overhaul fee, but Ken has all the parts I need to turn this hunk of metal into a working camera again. It'll be rough, certainly not ready for feature film prime time for awhile, but thanks to Ken and the Whitehouse parts store I'll have my CP-16R shooting within the week. Ah-right!

Here's a plug for Ken at Whitehouse. After a year of dithering I finally got up the nerve to crack open the case to my CP-16RP. What I found was the usual for an old camera that's spent a couple decades in storage: clutch belt mostly distintegrated, timing belt stretched and inelastic, clutch pads nonexistent. I called up Whitehouse AV and talked to Ken Hale, and we had a pleasant, enlightening discussion on the inner workings and foibles of Cinema Products cameras; belts, circuits, power supplies, batteries (Ken makes new batteries and chargers for CP-16's if anyone is interested).

I was stalled, thinking I couldn't ever get this machine going again because of the anticipated $2000 overhaul fee, but Ken has all the parts I need to turn this hunk of metal into a working camera again. It'll be rough, certainly not ready for feature film prime time for awhile, but thanks to Ken and the Whitehouse parts store I'll have my CP-16R shooting within the week. Ah-right!

Yes! Ken rocks. A few years back I was shooting a feature with a CP-16R and the timing belt went out on us and in addition to this we were beginning to have some problems with then zoom lens (forgive me lack of techical knowlege here, I am not a DP) . Anyway, our budget was under 25k and faced with a broken camera and almost no money I was sure we would not be able to finish the shoot. But I called Ken, he told me to send the camera to him and he'd, at the very least have a look at the camera and could tell us how much it was going to cost to fix. Within a day of receiving the camera Ken had fixed it and shipped it back, all for under $2,000. We spent the next three weeks shooting and never had a problem.

Flash Update! My CP-16RP is running! Thanks to Ken at Whitehouse; he sent out clutch pads, clutch belt, drive belt (which seems a bit big for this machine?), and a magazine belt, and he encouraged me to give it a go, so I did.

This machine has seen hard use with SABC South African TV during their troubled 70's and 80's, its last overhaul date was 1986, and the mechanism was filled with SA dust and frayed pieces of drive belt. After a liberal cleaning and rebelting I slapped 20 feet of film into it today and - to my suprise, amazement and joy - it works! Makes me think I can fix a rainy day...

Someday when I've got $2K sitting around I'll send this beast in for a proper overhaul and S16 conversion. But for now, I'm set, and for about $100 in parts. Now, on to the Great American Indie Picture!

• 3 months later...

Paul Hillman at Visual Products is a great CP16 repair tech. He serviced my CP16-R and I am very pleased with Mr. Hillman. Very honest, good workmanship! He repaired my timing/shutter misalignment and rebuilt my Angenieux 12-120 zoom. Greatly recommended: GOOD PRICE. Bought a clutch drive belt for my CP16 from Du All Camera repair in NY. Perfect transaction as well.