35mm Adapter for FX1/Z1U Best One???

Lee Maisel

• 2 weeks later...

i own the M2...its the cheapest but the hardest to use, as you have to deal with the spinning disc and upside down image.

i am happy with the results i have got, but i wouldnt consider using it with still photography primes...these adapters work decently only with proper 35 mm cinema primes

ill post some footage soon

the movietube is like a tank and realtively easy to use...but the price is outrageous

The best affordable one is the SGpro

www.sgpro.co.uk

Cheap, excellent picture quality (better than the P+S, better bokeh), rods included, PL and every other possible mount, great customer service,...

The best not quite affordable one is the Movietube, best because of it's Wax GroundGlass, shoulder mount with viewfinder,...

• 2 months later...

The best affordable one is the SGpro

I agree with Olivier, I have had my SGPro R2 now for a while and will soon be shootinga short with it, I have played around with it and the images are amazing. The indoor feel is great. I have only shot in natural light so far which is a problem on my V1E but on the whole a very well designed and constructed poiece of kit.

post-22711-1181148409_thumb.jpg

Regards Steve

Hi!

For those who have used them, who makes the best and or most reasonable 35mm adapter?

Thanks!

WWW.SGPRO.CO.UK Dont trust red rock when things go wrong! I got into an arguement with brian and he posted my wifes credit card information in forums on the net! I repoerted him to ripoff.com and to the consumer agency and its under investigation! Wayne at sgpro makes a better adapter! all the red rock micro reviews your reading on line is fake! Brian is posting them every where! they open up forums and pretend to be a happy customer! this company has no street address and no phone number listed! only a P.O Box! none of these lens adapters look like film! its a dreamy milky look to it! if you watch a real movie you will see the not every scene has a blerr background! I dont watch movies made with them if it was used through the whole production, its a nasty look! this adapter is just an extra tool thats over rated! I wouldent pay more them $600.00 for one ready to use out the box! just not worth it! if you watch a Hollywood movie they dont do a million rack shots and only the close up and mid shots have the blerr in the back! your best bet it to build your own! I bought all my parts from sgpro wayne helped me out big time! go to him he can help you! if you want the plans for free I have it but its very misleading! again its a red rock micro product! they dont want you to build one better then theres! you can get the plans just like brian did off of www.howstuffworks.com this is where red rock micro learned about this adapter! and all the parts are from home depot!

its cost them about $180.00 to build and you can build it your self! why fork over $1200 for a box with a hole and a round plexie glass from home depot in it that spins? any 8th grader can build one! red rock micro is abusing the film community!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mitch, I built my own adaptor from Redrock's DIY plans. I'm satisfied with the build which is very solid, and with the mechanics of the way it functions. The images are also pretty good. But I would like to try different ground glass options.

Is it possible to purchase the microcrystaline wafer you mentioned and if so, where?

• 1 month later...
Hi!

For those who have used them, who makes the best and or most reasonable 35mm adapter?

Thanks!

Hi Dude

Just thought you should see a film i made with the redrock adaptor and FX1. Its called Cold Blood (Horror short) and it was filmed in one day!

link http://www.reelvisionfilms.co.uk/coldblood.html

This might make your mind up.

steve o

FYI you can find everything you need to know about lenses for use with 35mm lens adapters like the Redrock M2, Brevis, Letus35 etc. at http://www.lenses35.com. This site also has a large selection of mint/near mint moderately priced lenses for sale. They will answer any question you might have.

Cheers,

Jo

Hollywood, California

The best adapter on the market that is actually affordable is the new Brevis Extreme. No upside down image, only have a stop of light loss, sturdy and practical design, beautiful bokeh with Nikon lenses, various removable lens mounts and very sharp image without vignetting.. what more can you ask for in a $1200 adapter!!

I think you mean Letus Extreme for 1200

The Brevis is also coming out with a Flip uint.

What is good about the Brevis is that it allows you to upgrade as it improves. The oldest Brevis on the market can be upgraded to use the newest technology Cinevate has to offer. Hence making it cheaper on the long run.

Where as the Letus is also good, but you can't really upgrade it . The older Letus seem to be out of favour after the arrival of the Letus Extreme.

If you want to shoot in high shutter speed, go for the SGPro, the vibrating adapters ( Brevis , Letus) have limations in high shutter speed.

The Best combo would be the SGPRO with the Brevis flip unit. Yes you can buy only the flip unit from Cinevate and fit it on the SGPRO. That way you get something that can handle high shutter speed and also a flip unit.

Peolpe might argue that the Brevis or the Letus can go without rails and light for gun & go. Yes it can . But most adapters needs the use of a matte box, with N.D filters and a follow focus to give good results. And if it is not a flip unit, you need to mount a monitor for focusing and framing. That way , you still have to put it on rods and it is as heavy or close as the SGPRO.

Edited by David Chia