Lighting Experement

James Burns

What were you doing, lighting him handheld with a flashlight?

Watch that clip from Raiders and takes notes as to where the light is coming from...and put the lighton a stand and keep it stationary.

It' hand helld cus i wanted to make the idol shimmer. Bad Idea?

It' hand helld cus i wanted to make the idol shimmer. Bad Idea?

In this situation, it would be best to create shimmer through camera movement rather than light movement. As you move the camera, different reflections will occur off the idol towards the camera's lens. And there's nothing to motivate moving shimmer on your actor's face, so it's best to keep it stationary.

• Premium Member

It wasn't so much the shimmer that made it awkward for me, although I agree, a staionary light source would work better. To me it was the fact that I could see the light shimmering ON the idol, whic is supposed to be the source. If the idol is the source it would be unnatural for it to cast light upon itself in that way.

Good luck

Hate to post this. Your question makes me think that you should be reading some basic lighting books, trying out the techniques and obserseving the effect. Methods described in books such as: Painting with Light and many others, are still used today.

Hate to post this. Your question makes me think that you should be reading some basic lighting books, trying out the techniques and obserseving the effect. Methods described in books such as: Painting with Light and many others, are still used today.

True enough...reading a basic lighting text will answer all the types of questions you are asking and probably do so more thuroughly. Even so, if I were lighting that scene, with the same "fixture" you used (a flashlight?). I would have placed the hot key high as you did, but slightly behind the object and aim it in front of the actor's face onto back side of the relic (from camera). I'd place something reflective and gold on that surface. The effect would be to have a glow from the light hitting the relic to provide the key light for the talent. That would also avoid the nasty shadow the relic creates on the actor's face when he reaches for it. The rest of the lighting can be built out from there to fit the mood.

Looks like there might be a red light on his face. I'll play around with it more when i shoot. The other qeustion i had was when i'm shooting outside do i just use reflecters to use the sun to my advantige or should i use lights?

Getting lights to have the same colour temperate as the sun can be complicated. You need a full CTB Lighting Gel. I recemmend you stick with reflectors. You'd be surprised how effective a sheet of Styrofoam can be.