Janusz Kaminski and the ASC

Guest Stephen Murphy

Guest Stephen Murphy

Just came across a discussion on IMDB (not great for its facts i know) that implied that Kaminski has quit the ASC? Anybody able to confirm this?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nik Samal

not wanting to spread uncited gossip, along with my real crap short term memory which means i could well be on about someone completely different.

but i'm sure it had something to do with the asc not nominating one of his films for an oscar or something. amongst other disagreements

Guest Nik Samal

my bad. who nominates? i'll try find whatever it was i read anyway so i can find it for sure. it was probably off imdb anyway now i've woken up and thought about it hah

Stumbled on this...

Elswit quoted at the ASC award reception speech..

"I just think it's impossible to pick these five films apart from one another. I'm really lucky that Janusz (Kaminki) did extraordinary work a year after he resigned from the ASC, and that Roger (Deakins) is competing with himself. To avoid this (from happening again) there should probably be a category called 'best cinematography in a movie by Roger Deakins."

so apparently this is not recent..

If any one has had a chance to ask him and/or could shed some light.. I'd be interested to learn his reasonings... like when Robert Rodriguez left the DGA.. He must have had a good reason..

• Premium Member
Wow, so yeah, today I worked with a DP who's worked with Kaminski and knows him pretty well. Apparently he really was disgruntled by the amount of snubs he got from the ASC awards, so he figured what's the point and ditched it.

The story I heard was that he quit a number of other organizations at the same time, like AMPAS, for personal reasons. I kinda doubt Kaminski is so petty that he'd quit the ASC because he wasn't winning enough awards from them.

• Premium Member
The story I heard was that he quit a number of other organizations at the same time, like AMPAS, for personal reasons. I kinda doubt Kaminski is so petty that he'd quit the ASC because he wasn't winning enough awards from them.

That would be hard to believe. I guess he had some reason.

Maybe he was angered at what WAS getting nominated. I guess Janusz has indeed inherited the Polish temper. In a more serious train of thought, I feel that his leaving the organization hurts it, as many people think he is a very talented cinematographer. Loosing a great talent in a professional organization hurts said organization.

Loosing a great talent in a professional organization hurts said organization.

Unless the particular organization is found to be stifling to the talents of the ex-member. I doubt that the ASC could be stifling, BUT there is got to be a VERY good reason why Kaminski would quit.

If he starts his own cinematography society I guess the answer will be clear. Otherwise we may never know. Unless he decides to open up and set the record straight, this is all speculation.

• Premium Member

There's no way the ASC could be "stifling" -- some members hardly participate in its activities, some are too busy, some don't live near any ASC events, some just opt out. For some, their participation consists of showing up for a dinner now and then or the awards show once a year, so how could that be stifling? It's partially a club where members chat with each other, socialize with other DP's. It's fun. I don't see what the organization could do to any member that would be "stifling" -- they don't dictate creative decisions or career choices. It's a participatory, volunteer-run organization -- you get involved to the level you want to be involved.

There's no way the ASC could be "stifling" -- some members hardly participate in its activities, some are too busy, some don't live near any ASC events, some just opt out. For some, their participation consists of showing up for a dinner now and then or the awards show once a year, so how could that be stifling? It's partially a club where members chat with each other, socialize with other DP's. It's fun. I don't see what the organization could do to any member that would be "stifling" -- they don't dictate creative decisions or career choices. It's a participatory, volunteer-run organization -- you get involved to the level you want to be involved.

I know the ASC is not stifling. Didn't mean to offend you ASC guys or anyone else. I apologize if I did.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

• Premium Member
-- some members hardly participate in its activities, some are too busy, some don't live near any ASC events, ....

That, plus the active membership dues aren't exactly cheap. To me it's a little weird to be second guessing another guy's personal decision. But that being said, it might not be all that big a deal. Perhaps he just decided that he wouldn't be able to participate enough to make it worth doing.

-- J.S.

I think this awe of ASC , BSC ,ACS etc is really silly its just like being invited to be a member of a golf club or some sort of masonic institution . Just go to ASC members list or BSC there are so many people you woudnt what to shoot your next movie .

To me, the ASC is representative of a professional society of working cinematographic craftsmen. It's like a better business bureau or chamber of commerce. Not being a member of such an organization, to me, signifies either finding fault with the organization, or finding fault with members of the organization. So sure it is Kaminski's personal decision, but I find the decision to leave an organization of cinematographers by a very talented, well-respected cinematographer to be troubling to the organization because of it's implications to the inner workings of the ASC. It'd be another matter if he just allowed his membership to lapse instead of actively quitting.

Opinions are like as sholes. How so? In that everyone has one, or that some are bigger than others? ;)

Sure speculation can be pointless, but when an important cinematographer quits an important organization of cinematographers, then it is very reasonble to want to try to find out why he has made that decision.

• 2 weeks later...
I know i keep on about this [ Indiana Jones 4] but perhaps he thought he would be asked to hand in his ASC badge after the mess he made on it ?

I haven't seen it yet....has he really messed it up? If so, how?