Angenieux 9.5-95 for Bolex RX?

David Auner aac

• Premium Member

Hi folks,

I have just checked out an Angenieux 9.5-95/2.2 for Bolex RX for testing at a local camera shop. I'm gonna test this puppy tonight or tomorrow. Any idea what I should expect? Camera will be a RX-5 and I'll be testing on Fomapan because that's the stock I will use on the project I want it for.

Thanks, Dave

Hi folks,

I have just checked out an Angenieux 9.5-95/2.2 for Bolex RX for testing at a local camera shop. I'm gonna test this puppy tonight or tomorrow. Any idea what I should expect? Camera will be a RX-5 and I'll be testing on Fomapan because that's the stock I will use on the project I want it for.

Thanks, Dave

You'll need a lens support system , especially if you have a C mount on your camera. The 9.5 to 95 is a big lens.

They weren't the sharpest zoom lens around, so I wouldn't expect snappy looking pictures. However, it does look better shooting B & W than colour.

Remember it's a T2.8 lens - you lose a lot of light.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

• Premium Member
You'll need a lens support system , especially if you have a C mount on your camera. The 9.5 to 95 is a big lens.

They weren't the sharpest zoom lens around, so I wouldn't expect snappy looking pictures. However, it does look better shooting B & W than colour.

Remember it's a T2.8 lens - you lose a lot of light.

Hi Brian,

thanks for the info. It's about what I expected/feared. Yes, the Rex-5 is C-mount. Yep, it's one huge junk of glass, which kinda beats the purpose I bought the Bolex for. I wanted to have a small 16mm package as my NPR isn't exactly that. Not light either. So I might not buy this huge bugger and get three primes instead. But I'll run my tests on it anyways. You never know...

Cheers, Dave

There is the 17mm to 75mm compact zoom (Pan Cinor, Sopelem, etc. brands) but it has a f-stop of 4.0 so it's not good in low light situations. I got one on my Rex5. You can see it in this picture between the camera and matte box.

bolex-a3.jpg

Hi Brian,

thanks for the info. It's about what I expected/feared. Yes, the Rex-5 is C-mount. Yep, it's one huge junk of glass, which kinda beats the purpose I bought the Bolex for. I wanted to have a small 16mm package as my NPR isn't exactly that. Not light either. So I might not buy this huge bugger and get three primes instead. But I'll run my tests on it anyways. You never know...

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave, Get the primes, and save the time and money on the 9,5-95. It's an older design (late 50's), based on the 12-120, which wasn't great to begin with (at least not those up to the 70's). But most importantly, if you want portability and you have an Eclair for the 'big' shots, definitely go with the primes. A Rex-5 with three primes fits in a shoulder-slung bag and is just the best carry-everywhere pro-16mm. kit around. I have ACL's galore, but I'll never give up my wind-up H16 + Kern primes. It's not just picture quality and portability, it's also about how conspicuous you are when shooting. As soon as you get those big lenses out there, you're back on the production line. But as Brian points out, this doesn't mean you have to give up on zoom lenses. The Berthiot/RTH 17-85/3.8 mini-zoom is great, especially since you can mount it on the turret with two primes : it's designed to fit where the tele usually goes and clears even the 10mm. It's a great combination. Look for the improved but rare Kern version (17-85/3.5) if you can.

Good Bolex shooting !

Boris

• Premium Member

Thanks Herb & Boris!

I have shot my test a couple of days ago. Am currently trying to decide where to send the Fomapan to. I wasn't pleased at all by the lens to tell you the truth. It exhibits awful barrel distortion in the mid focal lengths But we'll see how the material turns out. FYI it's the first roll of 16mm I shot myself as my Eclair is still sitting at the tech's shop.

Regards, Dave

Thanks Herb & Boris!

I have shot my test a couple of days ago. Am currently trying to decide where to send the Fomapan to. I wasn't pleased at all by the lens to tell you the truth. It exhibits awful barrel distortion in the mid focal lengths But we'll see how the material turns out. FYI it's the first roll of 16mm I shot myself as my Eclair is still sitting at the tech's shop.

Regards, Dave

I compared the Sopelem compact zoom with an Angenieux zoom on my animation stand using a closeup diopter and a Bolex gate prism. When I zoomed in on my field guide grid I found the Sopelem exhibited a lot of pincushioning at the 75mm range while the Angenieux was much better zoomed in. I also have a heavy 10 to 100 mm Canon zoom I haven't tested yet. It seems too heavy for the Bolex Rx turrent. I need to get some sort of support for it.

Thanks Herb & Boris!

Regards, Dave

Hi Dave,

I´m in the same situation as you. However my Eclair NPR sits at home ready for new shot, I bought Bolex EL as a "handheld camera" ;)

I want to shoot run-and-gun shorts and some kind of impressions with it.

And I also have exposed Fomapan DS8 in fridge from last winter...i should give it developped

and advice for you :

fomapan are being developped in factory, where it is produced - in Hradec Kralove, in Czech Republic. Your local distributor (from which you bought raw stock) have to manage these development. Or you can ask straight foma, and send it them via standart post parcel. Inside Europe it´s safe I think.

Or you can use wittner-kinotechnik.de, but they´re expensive.

• Premium Member
fomapan are being developped in factory, where it is produced - in Hradec Kralove, in Czech Republic. Your local distributor (from which you bought raw stock) have to manage these development. Or you can ask straight foma, and send it them via standart post parcel. Inside Europe it´s safe I think. Or you can use wittner-kinotechnik.de, but they´re expensive.

Hi Matej,

I bought my stuff from Wittner, didn't know that Foma offered do develop their stuff as well. Do they also sell stock directly?

Cheers, Dave

Hi Matej,

I bought my stuff from Wittner, didn't know that Foma offered do develop their stuff as well. Do they also sell stock directly?

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave,

they´ve got e-shop on their sites in Czech language. For my country - Slovakia - they got authorized distributeur, so I communicate just with him. Probably you can ask direct FOMA, if there is in Austria distribution. And if not, I think you can deal directly with them. Vienna isn´t so distanced, so it won´t be problem, I think.

They´ve got developing machine, but they don´t have telecine.

And they also offer complete set of chemicals for developing R100 emulsion. So if someone want to roll film in russian tank for hours... :rolleyes:

Bye

Guest mark_baldry
Hi Dave, Get the primes, and save the time and money on the 9,5-95. It's an older design (late 50's), based on the 12-120, which wasn't great to begin with (at least not those up to the 70's). But most importantly, if you want portability and you have an Eclair for the 'big' shots, definitely go with the primes. A Rex-5 with three primes fits in a shoulder-slung bag and is just the best carry-everywhere pro-16mm. kit around. I have ACL's galore, but I'll never give up my wind-up H16 + Kern primes. It's not just picture quality and portability, it's also about how conspicuous you are when shooting. As soon as you get those big lenses out there, you're back on the production line. But as Brian points out, this doesn't mean you have to give up on zoom lenses. The Berthiot/RTH 17-85/3.8 mini-zoom is great, especially since you can mount it on the turret with two primes : it's designed to fit where the tele usually goes and clears even the 10mm. It's a great combination. Look for the improved but rare Kern version (17-85/3.5) if you can.

Good Bolex shooting !

Boris

I hartily agree i started out with Pan Cinor & Angenieux 12-120 zooms on my rex4 and then bought three primes (Schneiders) and the results i always get are fantasticly sharp, also primes make you think about composition more and you can't zoom in and out which is always a temptation!

As a side note Schneider primes are just as good as Switars annd are a lot cheaper as they are not so well known, make sure your get the RX version for the focal lengths under 50mm.