Digital "Vista Vision" 1080 is HERE

Tom Lowe

http://www.vimeo.com/2053280

Above link is some footage from the new Canon 5Dm2 DSLR shooting 1080p video. The camera can shoot at ISO 3200 and possibly ISO 6400, with extremely fast full-frame (Vista Vision) still glass, like the 24mm f/1.4 or the 35mm 1.4 or 50mm f/1.2.

Of course, this is only the first camera with specs like these, but you can imagine that MANY more are on the way, including Jannard's DSMC/Scarlet and Canon's 1Ds Mark V, which might incorporate higher framerates and possibly RAW shooting next year.

My main concern is: how the hell do you pull focus on something like this? The form factor is very difficult to deal with.

In terms of audio, obviously you could sync sound with an external recorder for serious projects, or run a good mic into its minijack.

Obviously, there are many questions about the sampling technique being used to create the 5Dm2's 1080p, and obviously, this is only a first crack at something like this.

It does make me wonder, though, how this might change the cinema world.

It is beautiful looking video. Does it pose a threat to film? Maybe more to Red, even though it doesn't shoot RAW.

It is interesting that people in England don't seem to be bothered to be the filmed. Here in the US, you can always count on jerks who demand not to be filmed, despite their being in public areas.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

• Premium Member
".....Its a 35mm film equivalent cinema system that allows you to film 35mm style cine imagery without the need for any crew......"

You think?

Hi Tony,

'

Obviousely being that fast we won't need to use lights anymore :lol:

I think it will have about the same impact on film making as the word processor had on writing.

Stephen

• Premium Member

What do you think that rolling shutter will do to fast moving subjects? For example, a man running across the frame. Will his legs morph as they move?

As far as lighting, you may not need big cans but you still need intentional light of some kind for aesthetic purposes. It's not enough to just get an exposure.

• Premium Member

I was reading on another forum about people's wish list for another 5D MII upgrade. 24 fps seemed to be a high concern. If theaters are going digital projection, why would you need 24 fps other than a few motion factors. Doesn't a Barco projector system process data at 30 fps?

As I write this, I look across the room at my Frankenmitchell. This is sad. But here it is: affordable CMOS quality imaging at a suitable resolution.

At least I can run my large selection of Nikkies on this thing.

How does Hollywood keep punks like me from being a threat to their ticket sales? I assume they are financing the digital projectors so they can exclude competitors.

Can large scale production value and big names keep their strangle hold on sales?

Like Tony Brown, I'm speechless also at this thread.

This is something that's my biggest bone of contention with these digital

fanboys and the "revolution." Shoot 35mm quality with no crew, bypass film

and the skill to shoot film at any cost, resort to easier and more ignorant ways to

try to equal film, proclaim the death of film, and so on.

The clip looks like video to me. And come on, the screen is small. You can't judge that

accurately. Even well shot MiniDV can look decent at that size. But enlarge it to a computer screen size or

a TV then we'll see what it's made of.

The majority of features are still shot on film. There's a reason why Hollywood is not shooting exclusively RED, HD, and so on.

ARRI HAD RECORD SALES OF THEIR FILM CAMERAS LAST YEAR!

Enough said.

Milo

Someone needs to transplant the guts of this thing into a film camera form factor, add a PL mount, keep the price tag- and I'm so sold.

Not sure how practical this thing is going to be for full-scale productions though. I could see it becoming extremely popular in the low budget music video world. Seems like an HVX Killer!

H.264 is not suited to theatre-size projection and FX work though is it? Anyone know if the footage could actually hold up on the BIG screen?

Like Tony Brown, I'm speechless also at this thread.

This is something that's my biggest bone of contention with these digital

fanboys and the "revolution." Shoot 35mm quality with no crew, bypass film

and the skill to shoot film at any cost, resort to easier and more ignorant ways to

try to equal film, proclaim the death of film, and so on.

So anyone who is interested in or excited by the notion of being able to shoot on full-frame 35mm (Vista Vision) glass at, say, ISO 3200 is a "digital fanboy" who is pursuing "ignorant" ways of capturing moving images?

• Premium Member
So anyone who is interested in or excited by the notion of being able to shoot on full-frame 35mm (Vista Vision) glass at, say, ISO 3200 is a "digital fanboy" who is pursuing "ignorant" ways of capturing moving images?

Hi Tom,

You sum it up quite well!

So Tom, does this camera spell the death of Epic, Red One, Scarlet & Film in one quick blow?

Stephen

• Premium Member

I suspect what Tom means is that you cant replace the craft with technical competence of the equipment (though I'd also dispute the competence of the equipment based on the film).

And by the way - I see nothing there that probably couldn't be shot on Vision 3 (500asa). Unless you post A/B its impossible to judge levels

I like the narrow DoF, but the rest is awful

Last time I checked one could shoot 35mm film by oneself and acheive 35mm image quality without the need for a crew - probably not the most practical and efficent way to shoot a film, but hey it's possible. While this camera might not have the image quality of 35mm film (digital 'vistavision' is pushing it), it still is an interesting looking camera and if I was a wishing man, I'd ask Santa or LBJ for the guts of this thing in a useable form-factor.

But maybe now with an investment in this camera I can shoot my sci-fi roman epic with one person and two sets, three locations, lit only using the dark side of the moon and make millions of dollars with it, all without showing it to anyone. That would be awesome. <end madness>

Hi Tom,

So Tom, does this camera spell the death of Epic, Red One, Scarlet & Film in one quick blow?

Stephen

I don't think you are leaping nearly far enough in your conclusions. I think it spells the end of civilization as we know it. There will be mass suicides, swarms of locusts, the worlds surface will be rendered as smooth as glass by a series of cataclysmic earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, 250,000 people will ascend directly to heaven without dying, and those that are left behind will be without film, and will only have digital SLRs. In fact, instead of selling my red one, I'm going to dump it in the ocean, as an anchor, to drag me down with it. I mean whats the point? There's a stills camera that shoots sort-of-good-ish quality video now. It's game over, man.

R.

Edited by Ruairi Robinson

• Premium Member
I can shoot my sci-fi roman epic with one person and two sets, three locations, lit only using the dark side of the moon and make millions of dollars with it, all without showing it to anyone. That would be awesome. <end madness>

Lucas did it....

...or was that your point?

Hi Tom,

Stephen

No, but I think it helped spur whatever JJ is going to announce on November 13th..... which might have a major impact on this whole business. ;) Let's wait and see. Only 2 weeks away now.

• Premium Member
No, but I think it helped spur whatever JJ is going to announce on November 13th..... which might have a major impact on this whole business. ;) Let's wait and see. Only 2 weeks away now.

Lucikly I have 8 days shooting 35mm film, otherwise I might die of boredom waiting whilst people speculate.

Stephen