Daylight Spools in an SR2 or SR3

Ethan Vali

So I have some hundred foot rolls of 16mm film on the daylight spools and was wondering if I take the core adapter out of the SR mag can I use my daylight spools in that mag? Will it rub against the inside causing problems? Will it damage the film or the camera?

Thanks

• Premium Member

The SR is designed to be able to do that, but be aware, it is usually kind of noisy. Just take the core adapter off the feed side and put your 100 ft daylight spool on the spindle, then use an ARRI collapsible core on the take up side, or a plastic core. I've done it before, but like I said, it is noisy.

Best,

-Tim

• 1 year later...

I was wondering what is the best way of doing this. I've taken a 100ft roll on a daylight spool and put that on the feed side because that's how the film arrived. I've then put a daylight spool on the takeup side too. It made it easier to take the spool out, put it back in its original packaging and send it to the lab. Is this not a good way of doing this?

Thanks

Mohammed

• Premium Member

Mohammed,

What you describe works fine. It's just a bit noisier.

Whenever you put a daylight spool in either side of the SR mag, it adds noise. So a daylight spool in each side adds more noise than just one spool or no spool. But you're right, putting a spool in each side makes loading and unloading the camera easier, and facilitates sending the film to the lab.

Best,

-Tim

• 13 years later...