Bolex EL battery RECELL

ericyeong

Hi, anyone out there could explain my problem?? I've re-celled my 12V on board Bolex EL battery with the higher ampere 2500mAh(original was 800mAh)... I'm pretty sure the wire connection is right and nothing is loose. When I plugged it to my camera, the fuse blew.. checked my battery with voltage tester, it shown 12V... Anyone can tell me what's wrong with it?? :( Would it be the higher amp power? (which I don't think so..)... your help would be appreciated...

Regards,

Eric

Hi, anyone out there could explain my problem?? I've re-celled my 12V on board Bolex EL battery with the higher ampere 2500mAh(original was 800mAh)... I'm pretty sure the wire connection is right and nothing is loose. When I plugged it to my camera, the fuse blew.. checked my battery with voltage tester, it shown 12V... Anyone can tell me what's wrong with it?? :( Would it be the higher amp power? (which I don't think so..)... your help would be appreciated...

Regards,

Eric

The voltage is important. Amperes show the battery capacity. There could be another problem. If everything would be ok, any fuse could be handle it. Ask to Bolex Switzerland for the fuse spec. Try it with another battery. Maybe a shortcircuit?

• Premium Member
I've re-celled my 12V on board Bolex EL battery with the higher ampere 2500mAh(original was 800mAh)...

Those numbers sound like the old ones were nickel cadmium, and the new ones are nickel metal hydride AA cells. The new ones could be a little higher voltage than the originals. Fully charge both batteries, and compare the voltages.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

I have recelled the EL battery packs myself with new NiMH cells.

I just not wanted to go with the older NiCad cells just to use the original Bolex charger so i got it all new.

Voltage is still 1,2 Volts each and shouldn't be a problem with the fuse or electric / electronics.

• 1 year later...

I have recelled the EL battery packs myself with new NiMH cells.

I just not wanted to go with the older NiCad cells just to use the original Bolex charger so i got it all new.

Voltage is still 1,2 Volts each and shouldn't be a problem with the fuse or electric / electronics.

Hi Oliver.

How did you operate to re-cell your EL battery?

I'm about to receive My Bolex El and I know it will come with the battery dead.

Any little helps.

Thanks,

Edited by flavio filho

• Premium Member

How did you operate to re-cell your EL battery?

Easy. Get a WKV40 DIN 4-pin plug (female for the battery - male for the charger). If you want to recell the original compartment you need 10 batteries with soldering taps each. If you go this route you also need a new NiMH charger wired to charge the new packs.

I'd rather use a new compartment because this one is easier to build, more versatile and uses standard rechargeable batteries. And a standard charger. Read the BOLEX EL MANUAL on page 20 (its 21 in the PDF). The fourth socket diagram shows the correct wiring.

• 1 year later...

Hi Oliver, hi Flavio, and everybody else,

i'm in need of some help about EL battery.

My spare batteries have been stolen at the airport, and my other "on board" original battery is just dead.

So i have to re-cell the dead battery + buy 2 spare ones.

A few questions:

- has your re-celled NiMH battery worked fine with your Bolex camera ? I'm asking this because the tech from Bolex suggested me to keep NiCd batteries not to risk to create problems to the camera. But seems you had a positive experience switching to NiMH?

- do you know any facilites that take care of re-celling and assembling batteries ? I'm not very good in this kind of "do-it-yourself" assembly and would be more reassured if some pro could help me out on this.

Thanks for your time gentlemen :)

I do this kind of work but I am in Montreal, Canada so that may be a little far for you.

I can recommend http://www.microdeltabalears.com/ in Palma de Mallorca. They should be able to help you.

Any 12V DC battery pack will work. The higher the capacity, the more autonomy you will have.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis