Carbon Arcs

Olivier Koos

Why are Carbon Arcs out of fashion? They are on, without stabilizing time. They have such a nice light-quality. I could imagine that they can be computerised so that a light-operator would not be needed.

I used to be an Arc Angel... and Arcs will always need an operator not a computer. They are out of style because they belch smoke, are VERY heavy and take a lot of attention to use them correctly. They can still be found on Backlots as they are very durable and weather proof. I remember my first time on the Disney Lot and the Gaffer told me to "go get an Arc"... I asked "where"?.. he said "just walk around, you'll find one". I did. Two blocks away! I dragged it to the Set. He said "fire it up". I asked "where do I get power... where's the generator?".. he said "at each street corner there are DC tie ins". There were! When we were done with the shot ( for Lethal Weapon 3) we just left the Arc where it was (after coiling the cable of course).

Here's a snap from way back when.. over 23 years ago! Running an Arc outside the door of a Stage shining into the Set. It was an 8 day Steve Miller Music Video shoot. Amir Mokri was the DP, Bob Gantz was the Gaffer, Tom Voelpel was the Best Boy , I was running two Arcs. We were shooting 35mm B&W while he was recording an album/ it was pre cd.. I don't know (what) you would call it.. album I guess. Sheeesh check out the beard. No wonder I wasn't getting any dates at that time :lol:

post-31017-1261152931.png

• Premium Member

The problem is carbons. They're not just carbon, they also require some rare earth elements that came from parts of Southeast Asia. Places we don't do business with any more, going back to the 1970's. So, as people ran out of old stock carbons, they took out carbon projection lamp houses, and retired the brutes and titans. The last carbon projection I remember was the VistaVision machine upstairs in the WC Fields building at Paramount. They changed it out before Bob Miller retired, which I guess is over 5 years ago now.

Of course, they probably also have a substantial environmental "carbon footprint" too.

-- J.S.

To run three at once you really have to have the Continuos Trim Method down i.e. jamming a Positive Rod in there the perfect depth without shutting it down and having to re-strike. That's fun! :huh: Of course when the Negative Rod needs to be replaced you have to shut them down and open the oven... Ouch, that's Hot!

Carbon arcs are fun, but they are also dirty, smelly, power hungry and maintenance intensive. And let's not forget, many carbon arc fixtures also contain massive amounts of asbestos.

I've been collecting film projectors for some years, and thus also got some carbon arc lamp houses and a few boxes of HI carbon/copper rods. The carbons are fun to use (fun as in "driving a go-kart")... and also somewhat fascinating with that raw, untamed power that always somewhat reminds of the old time when "steam engines still ruled the earth"...

Just be careful, they produce loads and loads of UV! I once catched a sunburn on my hand: just had toyed around with some HI carbons and an electric arc welder power supply for a few minutes...

But you gotta admit, carbon arcs have style... :lol:

Edited by Marc Roessler

• 4 weeks later...