DuArt stops film processing

Another lab gives up film processing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/14/movies/14arts-ATDUARTANEND_BRF.html

At DuArt, an End to Film Processing

By PATRICIA COHEN; Compiled by RANDY KENNEDY

Published: August 13, 2010

Al Young, a film editor, and his partner, Arthur Gottlieb, started the DuArt film laboratory in 1922, during the era of silent movies. Now, after 88 years, Young’s son Irwin has announced that the company will process its last roll of film this month. “I grew up with film, so I’m sad to see it go,” Irwin Young, chairman of DuArt Film & Video, said in a statement. “But most of our clients have moved to digital image acquisition, and we’re moving with them.” The president of DuArt, Bob Smith, said the company was responsible for one of the first continuous-processing machines in 1927 and the first processing of Eastman Color negatives in 1951. The lab received an Academy Award for technical achievement in 1979 for the development of a frame-cueing system. Closing the processing lab, Mr. Young said, will enable the company to expand its digital work.

Brian

• Premium Member

Another lab gives up film processing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/14/movies/14arts-ATDUARTANEND_BRF.html

At DuArt, an End to Film Processing

By PATRICIA COHEN; Compiled by RANDY KENNEDY

Published: August 13, 2010

Al Young, a film editor, and his partner, Arthur Gottlieb, started the DuArt film laboratory in 1922, during the era of silent movies. Now, after 88 years, Young’s son Irwin has announced that the company will process its last roll of film this month. “I grew up with film, so I’m sad to see it go,” Irwin Young, chairman of DuArt Film & Video, said in a statement. “But most of our clients have moved to digital image acquisition, and we’re moving with them.” The president of DuArt, Bob Smith, said the company was responsible for one of the first continuous-processing machines in 1927 and the first processing of Eastman Color negatives in 1951. The lab received an Academy Award for technical achievement in 1979 for the development of a frame-cueing system. Closing the processing lab, Mr. Young said, will enable the company to expand its digital work.

Brian

Heard this was coming, but didn't know it would be so soon.

That's the last one in NYC, I think. Very sad.

That's the last one in NYC, I think. Very sad.
Not So.. What about POSTWORKS - at 100 Avenue of the Americas. That'd be more or les in New York - last time I looked anyway. (Though I believe it's neg processing only.) I think they have some DuArt alumni there too!

Sad to see DuArt out of the processing business. They were at one time the greatest. Well done Irwin and Bob and the team from over the years.

• Site Sponsor

Not So.. What about POSTWORKS - at 100 Avenue of the Americas. That'd be more or les in New York - last time I looked anyway. (Though I believe it's neg processing only.) I think they have some DuArt alumni there too!

Sad to see DuArt out of the processing business. They were at one time the greatest. Well done Irwin and Bob and the team from over the years.

Postworks lab does ECN and ECP...

-Rob-

• Site Sponsor

The big guys like Technicolor, Deluxe and Fotokem out in

Hollywood will still be around for a very long time.....

Technicolor and DeLuxe have big labs in NYC I think DuArt stopped running because of a combination of allot of TV shooting digital and the bigger labs grabbing all of the Feature and spot work.

-Rob-

• Premium Member

Technicolor and DeLuxe have big labs in NYC I think DuArt stopped running because of a combination of allot of TV shooting digital and the bigger labs grabbing all of the Feature and spot work.

-Rob-

Glad I'm wrong about that. Still strange to see DuArt stop film entirely, but I agree that the majority of their clients probably just don't go through the chemical processes anymore.

Wow this news hurts. DuArt has had such a long history and has helped so many filmmakers over the years. Especially low budget, independent, and young filmmakers. They scaled down their operations years ago and that was disconcerting but stopping all together.