Has film projection now ceased in the US?

Keith Walters

• Premium Member

Last year these forums were full of posts lamenting that "next year" (ie this year) the major distributors would no longer be supplying movies as film prints, only as digital files.

If that has actually happened, I sure haven't heard anything about it, and most of the cinemas here still seem to be projecting film.

By no means am I a supporter of film projection, at least, not if it's a 4th generation copy of a 2K Digital Intermediate, but I'm not a fan of some of the crap digital projection systems I've sen either.

• Upvote 2

I'll probably get shot right here and now for this, but here it goes....

Some of the larger chains have gone digital, while some of the smaller ones and mom and pop theaters are still projecting 35mm. I know in my hometown they tore down the old 16 screen cinema complex and built a new 16 screen digital cinema complex in it's place. While the town next to me still has the old one screen theatere owned by a mom and pop outfit that still projects 35mm.

For the smaller venues, the cost of these digital projectors is hard to justifiy even switching. Many have said they could buy a 35mm projector for $25,000 to $30,000 and be able to get at least 25 years of service life out of it.

Last I heard the average cost of these new digital projectors are in the $60,000 to $80,000 range and there is no garantee they will last 25 or 30 years first to allow engough time for them to pay for themselves, especially for a smaller venue.

I think the only people who are truly happy with all of this are the distributors.

I live in Atlanta, G.A. - population 6 million. There are 4 theaters here in town that still show 35mm prints. DJANGO, Lincoln, Looper , Jack Reacher and all the latest Hollywood and Indie films are still distributed as 35mm prints and well as DCP.

I live in Atlanta, G.A. - population 6 million. There are 4 theaters here in town that still show 35mm prints. DJANGO, Lincoln, Looper , Jack Reacher and all the latest Hollywood and Indie films are still distributed as 35mm prints and well as DCP.

Interestingly those are all films shot on 35mm film and three of those are anamorphic making it easier to strike prints from.

Interestingly those are all films shot on 35mm film and three of those are anamorphic making it easier to strike prints from.

Those same theaters recently screened TOTAL RECAL(shot with RED Epic-2012) and LAWLESS( Alexa-2012). The HOBBIT is currently showing there.

Well clearly then there is no coalition.

Depending on your workflow you can just make direct prints from anamorphic instead of having to convert super 35 3 perf to anamorphic. You can't directly make 4perf release prints from 2 perf. ie. Contact printing. If your low budget that saves allot on things like scanning, and the ridiculous price of film out and possibly converting at a later stage like IN.

wiki:

"Anamorphic scope as a printed film format, however, is well established as a standard for widescreen projection. Regardless of the camera formats used in filming, the distributed prints of a film with a 2.39:1 theatrical aspect ratio will always be in anamorphic widescreen format."

"Super 35 claim an advantage in production costs and flexibility; when used to make 2.39:1 theatrical prints, detractors complain of a loss in quality, due to less negative area used and more lab intermediate steps (if done optically)."

Again it depends on the workflow. I personally Love Super 35 3 Perf.