Do people really pay for this?

Matthew W. Phillips

• Premium Member

I was looking up DPs in Sacramento and I ran across this dude. Not trying to call anyone out as this guy is just an example of the many wannabees going around calling themselves "Cinematographer" and expecting people to pay for this.

This guys rate is $265/day according to his page.

I know there has been talk on this forum about Producers paying people proper. But don't you think there needs to be some quality control if you expect to get paid?

I'll let you make up your own mind.

http://vimeo.com/

• Premium Member

SInce I don't personally pay DP's, I can't answer that. But I wouldn't necessarily hire him to help me shoot something. That's not because I don't like his work. There are a number of factors that go into things like that. I actually think some of his stuff looks pretty nice.

I think the first half of the reel was better than the second.

• Upvote 1

Am I missing something? Some of his work looks better than some of mine, and I make more than that. Quite a bit more if I provide gear. Granted, I'm not really a "DP/cinematographer" except when clients decided to call it that, more like corporate video/ENG/documentary/etc. videographer. Is that the difference? Do "real" DPs have to fighter harder to make the same money as we do for less work? That seems backwards. $265 is really low in my world.

Edited by Josh Bass
  • Upvote 2

• Premium Member

Geez, the going commercial rate for a 1st AC in my neck of the woods is 650/10. Considering that DPs generally make at least twice what the keys make, 265/flat seems crazy low to me. Don't know how you could expect to make a living on those kinds of rates...

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member

For freelance work $265 for a 10 hour day is cheap. He doesn't claim to be a "cinematographer" as far as I can see, more of a filmmaking jack-of-all-trades and even mentions being open to negotiated rates for low budget jobs. His reel seems OK for someone just starting out. As others have pointed out, you'd be paying a lot more for a commercial DP.

If you don't like his reel Matthew, don't hire him. It's pretty simple. There's no need to put someone up on display just so you can whine about what you perceive to be expensive, especially if you haven't even talked to them to negotiate rates. He actually sounds quite reasonable, whereas to be honest you're coming across as entitled and petty.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I actually think it looks okay Matthew. In fact it's better than a lot of the showreels that people post on here, often accompanied by a message to let everyone know how fantastic they are.

I think what you might be not liking is not so much the cinematography, which okay is basic but kinda works, but the fact that a lot of it has a very nasty video look to it. I know that you like film based stuff Matthew but a lot of the trends in cinematography have shifted away from that look and more to stuff that has this harsher, supposedly "sharper" look that this video has.

So it could just be that this isn't a look that you like.

Freya

• Upvote 1