Cinematographer's role in Blockbusters

I was watching new Fantastic Four trailer and i guess they changed their mind went with green color on new trailer.

http://imgur.com/a/7R0t4

Who is responsible for this? Do you think cinematographer created visual style for orange then changed his mind? Or he dont even know they changed whole color palette of movie.Hows these things working on blockbuster %90 CGI Superhero movies?

• Premium Member

First of all, how do you know the first trailer was timed to the cinematographer's intent but not the second? Or either? Trailers are usually timed by marketing departments under the control of the studio.

Second, what I see is that someone decided that this lava effect on this alien planet should be green instead of orange, presumably to make it more alien and mysterious since it somehow transforms the astronauts into the Fantastic Four, so that's more of a design issue regarding the effects based on addressing some story issue. It only sucks for the cinematographer who was told to light the green screen elements for orange lava only to see it changed to green, but that's hardly a big artistic statement by the cinematographer that was changed by the studio.

I don't see anything from that page you linked to that says that the whole color palette of the movie was changed in post, what I see is that all the alien lava / mysterious energy effects were changed from orange to green.

I will say that in a multi-million dollar movie, there are a lot of cooks in the kitchen and a lot of people who have a say in how the movie looks.

• Premium Member

Because it's boring when a trendy look is applied without regard for the subject matter. It's more fun to create trends than to follow them (though possibly less lucrative)!

I agree, but when it does fit the subject matter...

• Upvote 1